CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Chapter Twenty-Two

At first, the pounding is part of my dream. I’m trapped in the trunk of Reece’s car and I’m banging to get out.

I rouse awake as Reece jumps up off the bed.

“Shit.”

My eyes fly open. It’s still dark, which means someone banging on Reece’s front door can’t be a good sign.

He’s already digging in his closet, throwing out the clothes he piled up earlier.

My heart races so fast I must be having a heart attack. “Who is it?”

“I don’t know.” His voice is muffled as he moves a metal trunk. “But you’re not hanging around to find out. Come here.” He grabs my arm and pulls me into the closet. His face is taut. “Hide in here and don’t come out. No matter what I say or what anyone else says. You only come out if I open this door or if I leave and it’s been an hour or longer. Got it?”

“Yes.”

He shoves me down, pushing me through a tiny square at the bottom of the wall.

Garbled voices and banging drifts from the living room.

“Coming!” He shouts, replacing the panel. The trunk scrapes across the floor and bangs into the wall.

I crouch in the small opening. When Reece said it would hide a couple of people, he must have meant dwarfs. Bile rises in my throat as I try to slow my breathing.

“Reece Collins?” A man’s deep voice carries through the walls.

Voices mingle, but I can’t make out the words.

“What took you so long to answer the door?” The man’s voice booms.

“I was asleep.” Reece slurs his words. “It’s four o’clock in the morning. What do you think I’m doing at four in the morning?”

The walls in this house must be paper thin for me to hear their conversation. I’m terrified I’ll make a noise and give myself away.

“Are you alone?”

“My dad’s at work. He’s a doctor at the hospital.”

“I asked if you’re alone.”

“I told you my dad’s at work. My mom took off a few months ago. Yeah, I’m alone.” Reece sounds annoyed.

“So you don’t mind if we check your house?”

“Like I have a say in the matter?” Reece asks.

“Don’t get smart with me, boy. Perhaps your father needs a fine for not teaching you proper respect.”

“Check the house. Knock yourself out.”

Footsteps tromp through the house, moving closer. My heart crashes into my chest and my legs shake. I sit on the floor, and wrap my arms around my bent knees.

Doors bang and the thud of things being thrown around makes the walls shake. If they discover me here, I’m as good as dead. I start feeling around the dark cubbyhole for a way out.

“What are you looking for?” Reece asks. He sounds like he’s in his room.

“Julia Phillips.”

“You’re looking in the wrong place. Julia Phillips is dead.”

“So you deny seeing her within the last few days.”

“I told you. She’s dead. Look it up on your handheld.”

“Then you’ll agree to a lie detector test?” The man asks. He sounds amused.