one - the beginning of Ashley Waters

I wish I could say the sun woke me up, maybe an alarm or even the smell of bacon, but no. It was the distinct sound of squealing I knew my younger brother produced that woke me up, as well as the sound of feet stomping after him.

I chuckled slightly as I began waking up, moving out of my bed and into the hallway. I lived in a large two story home with my four brothers, two older than me, one my age, and one younger. Alec and Jaxon were a year and a little over a year and a half older than me, both seniors since they were so close in age.

I was a junior, along with my twin brother Eros, and my youngest brother Ollie, or Oliver when he's in trouble. Oliver's only six years old, and just beginning his first grade year. That's more than likely what the squealing was coming from, Alec and Jaxon probably trying to wrestle him into his school clothes.

We were just lucky my parents weren't home, my father taking my mother for a surprise vacation two days ago. We didn't know at first, having gone to the closest mall for school supplies for all of us, and came home late at night to a completely dark home and a crying Ollie. They had completely left him alone, not calling or at least texting us and letting us know.

My mother most likely found another one of his mistresses, and probably went into another one of her rages. She always does that when she finds another woman, and I always seem to be at the end of it. No matter how many vacations they go on or how much jewelry he buys her, she sometimes finds a way to land her fists on me.

Although, I much prefer her more than my father. He's not home nearly as much as her, but when he is, I try to stay out of the house as much as I can. The guys don't know, they don't even have an idea, and I'll keep it that way.

Although, we all know it won't be long till they're back.

When they're back, it's as if we're dolls. We put up a front, look pretty, and be the perfect family. Behind doors though, behind doors mom and dad scream at each other for all hours of the night. The guys know a little about mom, but never about my father. They know mom has locked me in the closet, has struck me with various things, but they don't know just the extant.

My brothers love my father, as much as they can love him. They'll never admit to it, but the occasional compliment he gives them makes their heart soar, their bodies yearning for the fatherly love they went without for so long. My mom, my moms a different story completely.

I pushed myself out of bed, gracious that my body wasn't sore today. It was our first day at school, plus registration this morning. I rubbed at my eyes, moving into the bathroom so I could brush my teeth, stretching out as I walked.

My black hair was a mess around me, waist length, with striking eyebrows and an angular face. My eyes were gold, not golden brown, not slightly tinged, but completely gold. I don't really know where those eyes came from, since Eros didn't have them. He had the same black hair I did, except his eyes were a little darker, and a little bit more brown.

I was about five foot five, with an hour glass figure I had inherited from my grandmother. All of my brothers stood well over six feet, except for little Oliver, and had broad shoulders and a football players build. Eros actually plays, but I'm not sure whether he would be playing this year.

Alec was a bit of a nerd, constantly reading any math or science text books he could get. He was a genius though, always trying to better himself regarding school. He had such big plans for when he graduated, planning to get his PhD and become some type of chemist; don't ask what, I wouldn't be able to tell you.

Jaxon is a goofball, a free spirit that spends way to much time pranking us. I should know, him and I usually have some type of war going on. I'm actually waiting on his retaliation, being that it has been at least two weeks since I got him. He's smart though, even if he won't freely admit it.