[17] Adhan part-2

QUESTION:
When a person repeats one verse of azaan
he is rewarded 20 lakhs times
and those who spreads this,
30 lakhs times. Is this true
and is this a hadith and what
are the hadiths related to this?

ANSWER:
The Ahadith related to responding to the Azan are plentiful. In short, we are told to repeat the words of the Muezzin (and say La Hawla wa La Quwwata Illah Billahil Aliyyil Azim on the two Hayyas) and then read the dua of the azan after it. When a Muslim does this, then he wins the intercession of the Prophet (peace be upon him) and a place in paradise. I have included three prophetic reports on the subject from authentic sources:

1. Abu Sa’id al-Khudri (may Allah be pleased with him) reports that Allah's Messenger said: ‘Whenever you hear the Adhan, say what the Muezzin is saying’ (Sahih al-Bukhari).

2. Jabir (may Allah be pleased with him) reports that Allah's Messenger said: ‘Whoever after listening to the Adhan says, 'Allahumma Rabba hadhihi-d-da' watit-tammati was-salatil qa'imati, ati Muhammadan al-wasilata wal-fadilata, wab' athhu maqaman mahmudan-il-ladhi wa' adtahu (O Allah! Lord of this perfect call (of not ascribing partners to You) and of the regular prayer which is going to be established! Kindly give Muhammad the right of intercession and superiority and send him (on the Day of Judgment) to the best and the highest place in Paradise which You promised him)', then intercession for me will be permitted for him on the Day of Resurrection’ (Sahih al-Bukhari)

3. Umar ibn al-Khattab reported: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: When the Muezzin says: Allah is the Greatest, Allah is the Greatest, and one of you should make this response: Allah is the Greatest, Allah is the Greatest; (and when the Muezzin) says: I testify that there is no god but Allah, one should respond: I testify that there is no god but Allah, and when he says: I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, one should make a response: I testify that Muhammad is Allah's Messenger. When he (the Muezzin) says: Come to prayer, one should make a response: There is no might and no power except with Allah. When he (the Muezzin) says: Come to salvation, one should respond: There is no might and no power except with Allah, and when he (the Muezzin) says: Allah is the Greatest, Allah is the Greatest, then make a response: Allah is the Greatest, Allah is the Greatest. When he (the Muezzin) says: There is no god but Allah, and he who makes a response from the heart: There is no god but Allah, he will enter Paradise’ (Sahih Muslim).