Chapter 1

Cold, is all I feel. Soon, everything fell away into moonlight. Nothing else existed but moonlight. I felt misted grass underneath my paws as I stood up. Thoughts ran wild. I don’t want to be here anymore, I want to be back in camp. I want to feel the protection of my mother and the feathers of the nest. I want to see trees, not moonlight. It was no use. I opened my eyes to a shadowed hollow with a large spiraling tree planted in the center.

The Island?

As I searched my surroundings in confusion, I heard a voice that had layers, like multiple cats were speaking as one. “Welcome to StarClan, Zenkit. It has been generations upon generations since a cat with such a future has arrived here.” The voices sounded… happy. At peace.

I shifted to face the tree as starlit cats started to fill the hollow. Only nine of them though, not like the hordes Flufffoot used to tell stories about.

They stepped away from each other, spaced equally, but only one walked forward. His fur shone bright red, like a flame, and his green eyes were piercing. His fur was translucent, but was streaked with solid red.

“I am Firestar, I was leader a long time ago. I had a prophecy laid upon my life, one such as yours.” His voice was comforting and kind. “It is time for you to become the youngest cat to receive nine lives to aid you in whatever will come. Cats from Thunderclan long ago will come forth.”

As he spoke, and I stood there utterly confused, the starlit cats stepped forward into moonlight. Two of the cats had dusty-coloured fur; one, a she-cat, stood close to Firestar, the other, a tom, stood a few steps away. They were definitely of the same litter, even their eyes were similar.

Another, a she-cat, had blueish fur that shone like Firestar, but with a different colour. She was no more than a shadow and I had to search for more than her bright eyes that were plain to see.

A long-haired white tom, his eyes full of mischief, stood next to a white, black, and orange she-cat with a scarred face. Her left eye and ear were missing, but it didn’t seem to bother her as she stood close to the white tom.

A brownish tabby that was striped with a darker colour stood next to the white cat and had piercing green eyes like Firestar.

The next cat stood next to the dust coloured one and she was a lighter tabby colour with amber eyes. She was matched with a second cat that held dark green eyes instead of amber.

Their eyes were full of kindness as their tails were held high. They looked the same age, but stood differently. The green-eyed cat was kind, but almost shameful, and the amber-eyed cat was beautiful and sprightly.

As I looked at them I remembered the legends, somehow, of all of the cats. Their names, but for now, nothing more.

Bluestar, Sandstorm, Dustpelt, Bramblestar, Cloudtail, Brightheart, Squirrelflight, Leafpool. The cats of ThunderClan.

I returned my gaze back to Firestar. “Why are you here?” I wanted to be scared of them, but I knew they were no threat. Not to anyone, not anymore.

“To give you nine lives. We are to give you all we can for what lies ahead.” He padded forward and rested his head on mine, leaning down. “Do not be afraid, young kit.” His voice was just a whisper, maybe more for his sake than mine. “I give you bravery. Use this life to push through all that will come your way.”

His voice faded as a different whisper started in my mind. ‘Even at the cost of your life?’ I started to walk. The ground underneath was soft and bent towards my paws as the forest returned around me. But what started to surround me… It wasn’t familiar at all.. It was overwhelming: the visions of battles and sickness, of cold and heat, but I kept walking. That’s all I could do.