Chapter 6

Chapter 6

I entered the training hollow and waited for Leafpool and Squirrelflight. They arrived soon enough and I stood up. “Please tell me, do you know who that shadow was?”

They looked at each other, the stars flickering. Leafpool spoke. “That shadow is a remnant of a cat that was killed in the Battle against the Dark Forest. Do you know the legend?”

I shook my head.

“Then let us explain that. Long ago, after the Clans came to the Lake, a prophecy was made. It was made of my sons and Cloudtail's daughter.”

Squirrelflight speaks. “There will be three, kin of you kin that will hold the power of the stars in their paws. This was said to Firestar.”

Leafpool. “The next prophecy was about a danger beyond what had happened.”

“After the sharp-eyed Jay and the roaring Lion, peace will come on a Dove’s gentle wing. This prophecy was made to the Three.”

“Lionblaze, Jayfeather, Dovetail. Lionblaze had the power of battle, Jayfeather was blind but could see in his dreams, and Dovewing could see farther than any other.”

“The end of the stars draw near. Three must become four to battle the darkness that lasts forever. The fourth warrior was Firestar. He sacrificed his last life to fulfill his prophecy. They defeated the Dark Forest where the evillest of cats resided. After the battle was won by Firestar, Midnight, a badger with wisdom of the cats and StarClan made one more prophecy.

“There will be three cats, kin of your kin, with the power of the stars in their paws. They will find a fourth, and the battle between light and dark will be won. A new leader will rise from the shadows of his death, and the Clans will survive beyond the memories of his memories. This is how it has always been, and how it will always be. This was made to Dovewing.”

“There has been generations since that day. These nine cats that have given you lives, Zenstar, are the only ones left of the battle. Except one. The Shadow. No cat remembers his name, he was banished from the forest that day. He never returned and his name was forgotten, even by StarClan. It has been too long. He is pursuing you, and Squirrelflight will explain.”

“You are in the remaining line of Firestar. The last descendant. there hasn’t been more than one kit born in a single litter of his line since then. Your mother was in the line, but never had the traits you do. She wasn’t the peace we have waited since the deciding Battle. You are. Do you know why you were named Zenkit at your birth?” Squirrelflight asked.

I spoke for the first time since asking to hear the legend. “Spottedclaw told me it was because of how I was silent.”

Squirrelflight spoke again. “Tortoiseshell coated cats are naturally calm, but you emphasized it further than we originally believed. You were named Zenkit to tell all a special trait of yours. You don’t panic at anything, even more so now.”  

“I am a descendant of you? Firestar? The Three?”

“Yes, Zenstar.” Leafpool. “The Line of Prophecies. All the prophecies made till now are within Firestar’s line. They may include other cats, but mostly in Firestar’s line.”

“So my prophecy…”

Squirrelflight nodded. “Could not exist if you weren’t in the line of Firestar. That is the only place in ThunderClan where the prophecies exist.”

I sighed. “What does this have to do with the Shadow?”

“The Shadow is also in the line of Firestar. He was once the son of Firestar’s daughter.”