Chapter 2 - Late Night Talks With a Fairy

"Seventh Miss?" an unrecognizable voice, soft and sleepy but filled with concern, spoke out from behind Shuang Xiang.

Shuang Xiang immediately tense, her hand twitching as if wanting to reach for something, but she restrains her movement because the unexpected intruder did not seem hostile. Instead, much to Shuang Xiang's confusion, the woman sounds worried.

Slowly, feeling naked and ridiculously helpless without a knife or some kind of weapon on her body, Shuang Xiang turns around, wondering if anything happened to her sister, Kim Sang and whether she is safe and unharmed.

When Shuang Xiang finally sees the unfamiliar woman that has somehow sneaked behind her, she freezes.

Standing there before Shuang Xiang, with a dazed but endearing expression full of concern is a fairy... or, at least what Shuang Xiang thought could be a fairy.

Pale porcelain-like skin, soft and supple features with fluttering, long eyelashes, silk-like hair curtaining the other's shoulder and petal-like lips—Shuang Xiang has to be dead. Seeing such a ridiculous and beautiful person in real life—maybe she has gone to heaven? But why is heaven so dark?

There is something unrealistic and intimidating about this person's beauty and Shuang Xiang promptly lifts one of her hands to pinch her cheeks—just in case she's dreaming.

Ouch. Nope, that actually hurts. And with the bruises on her face, the pain radiates all over her cheeks.

The Fairy standing across from Shuang Xiang gives her a strange look, probably because of her weird attempt at self-harm.

"Seventh Miss...? What's wrong?" The Fairy called out once again in a cautious tone and—wow, her voice reminds of gentle, streaming waters and soft, blooming flowers. There has to be a limit in how many attractive features a person can have...

Wait a minute. Hasn't the Fairy been speaking Chinese the whole entire time???

And why does Heaven look so much like Ancient China???

Are you trying to tell Shuang Xiang something, God???

"Seventh Miss?" Now the Fairy looks rather scared at her quietness, which is heartbreaking for someone as dainty and fragile-looking as the Fairy. Shuang Xiang feels like she's kicking a puppy or something.

Shaking her head, trying not to be too stunned by the Fairy's appearances, Shuang Xiang clears her throat a bit.

"I-I apologize," Shuang Xiang said in the politest and most formal Chinese she could remember. Hey, the only reason why she knows Chinese, despite living in America since a young age, is because she has a degree in foreign language and there is this one mission in Shang Hai that everyone in Diehard will deny ever being involved in (the results were that scarring).

The Fairy seems startled by her apology for some reason though, so Shuang Xiang pushes ahead in what she wanted to say: "I am regretful to say that I am not who you think I am. I am not the Seventh Miss you are looking for."

Shuang Xiang feels a little guilty telling the Fairy this, even if it's true. Obviously, the Fairy cares for this Seventh Miss a lot, so Shuang Xiang feels a little disappointed in not meeting the Fairy's expectation. Does this Seventh Miss look a lot like her or something? Seventh Miss means the seventh female child born under the head male (master?) of the family, right? Shuang Xiang wasn't sure how this person could mistake her for the Seventh Miss. She is definitely a pauper rather than the princess.

But apparently, this Fairy-like creature really did think of her as this Seventh Miss because at first, the beautiful woman stares at her for the longest of seconds— before suddenly bursting into tears.