Eyeless Jack

A/N: Ty to everyone that waited for this update lol, it's been months. 

The sunset glowed through the trees, turning the landscape around you soft oranges and yellows, the sun sinking below the horizon. You shifted through your bag and brought out an old Walkman, popped a cassette into it and hit play. Putting earphones in, you continued walking, bobbing your head softly along to the beat.

  "Wise men say only fools rush in"

You watched the world go from orange to blue as the sun dipped down until it was completely out of sight, the world growing slightly colder and darker. You weren't too worried, you had traveled here before multiple times, and knew the path by heart. Looming shadows didn't scare you like they used to.

Though maybe that wasn't a good thing.

As the sky grew darker and darker, the forest became almost pitch black, and you took out your flashlight. You still had your headphones in, the fun 50's era song playing contrasted the tone of the dark woods. You walked a lot slower now, your footsteps more unsure, trying your best not to trip.

Your flashlight caught something in front of you, and you snapped out of your thoughts, gasping lightly as you shone it again on the thing in front of you.  

Nothing was there. You searched the entire area around you, swearing you saw something in those woods just a moment ago. Were you going crazy?

You turned off the Walkman. The calm, content feeling you had earlier had been completely shattered at this point, now you just wanted to deliver the letter and go home. You trudged through the woods in silence. 

After a couple minutes, you rubbed your arms to get a little warmer, the thought of something watching you wouldn't leave your mind. There was a figure that had been standing in front of you, you knew it, but as you tried to think of it's appearance, you couldn't make remember anything but a dark, tall-ish figure. You sighed. How specific, right? Maybe it was just a tree it the distance, and you freaked out and thought it was closer?  Sure, fine, whatever kept you from abandoning this mission completely, You thought.

Suddenly you thought you heard someone yelling, and quickly took out an earphone and looked around. The wind howled back at you. After a minute of listening intently, and hearing nothing, you frowned and took the other earphone out, and stuffed it- along with the Walkman- into your pocket. You wanted to look at your map again, but the thought of slowing down or taking your eyes off the trees around you made you nervous. What am I thinking?? You thought to yourself. I shouldn't be scared, I come face to face with other monsters constantly! And besides, there is NOTHING in these goddamn woods!

You forced yourself to stop walking, and swung your bag around you, grabbing the map. You focused on it, checking that you were on the path to the puppeteer's house. You squinted, the flashlight in your hand helping some. next to you, a twig snapped. Your heart beat faster, but you took a deep breath. Don't be a coward, you told yourself. Don't be a coward, don't be a cowa-

Something hit your left side, pulling you down to the ground with it. You looked up in shock (and anger, how could you be such an idiot??) to see a human figure pinning you. Hell no, there was no way you were gonna become a horror movie protagonist. You brought up your knee sharply, hitting the person in the stomach, they let out a grunt and loosened their grip on you, allowing you to punch them, push them off, and step away from them. You turned and stared at them, gasping for breath and trying to get your thoughts in order. They were blocking your path. And while most may have grabbed their bag and ran, you refused to listen to your instincts (again). For one thing, you couldn't grab your bag, the figure was in front of that too, hunched over and coughing from your jab at their stomach. And second, you were stubborn as all hell.