8

© Jojo B 2018

All rights including those in copyright in the content of this story are owned by Jojo B. It's Illegal to steal and/or copy.

______________________________________________________________________

Snakes and Splinters

8

I grinned and cheered as Ario scored the second goal for his team within the last three minutes of the match. His team had won and he'd scored both goals. My cousin grinned and threw his fist in the air as his team shrouded him in praise. They were playing against their own club as it was just an inside game, but I had to grin as they were so happy.

Waiting by the main entrance to the football pitch, I watched as the losing team piled past me towards the changing rooms. They pushed each other, throwing playful jabs as they went and I thought I saw one of Antonia's cousins, but I couldn't be sure. I'd only seen him once before, so it could have been anyone.

I pushed myself off the side of the building I was leaning against when I saw Ario coming in his bright blue football shirt. I grinned and raised my arms to hug him when he knocked my arms down.

"I'm sweaty," he said with a smile, sweat dripping down the front of his neck.

"You were great," I said and shook my head in disbelief. "I should come to watch more often."

"Thanks," Ario grinned and some of his teammates nodded at him on their way inside. "I'm going to have a quick shower and then we can go."

"Sure," I nodded. "I'll wait here."

"There's a bench or something down there," Ario pointed further up the wide path that led to the car park and main road.

"Alright," I said and started making my way down.

It was a slightly warmer winter's day, despite the little cloud cover. The sun heated my face slightly as I sat down on the bench and faced the road. Some of the players walked past me, still talking about the match, with their football trainers tied at the laces and draped over their shoulders.

Ario finished up within good time and he came out in a fresh pair of jogging bottoms and a clean, dark blue football shirt. He had his sports bag over his shoulder and his hair was darker as it was wet and still drying. He sent me a lazy smile when he saw me waiting.

I stood and looked up at him, "So where to?"

"Food," Ario patted his stomach. "ASAP."

"I'm kind of hungry too," I chuckled in agreement. "What are you feeling?"

"Burgers and chips," Ario grinned. "It's customary to eat something greasy after so much exercise."

"Sure," I laughed as we made our way to the shopping complex which wasn't far from the football club.

Not long later, we sat in a foot court eating burgers and chips from Ario's favourite fast food restaurant. He had bought two burgers, two fries and a large drink, whilst I had roughly half of what he was eating.

"I didn't think you were much of a team player," I said to him as I ate some chips.

Ario arched a brow at me, "What do you mean by that?"

"Well I didn't think you'd like working in a team with people you barely know," I elaborated. "Before I knew you, I used to think you were really quiet. Everyone knew you as the silent one."

"Not really," Ario shrugged. "I mean, yeah I don't talk much when me and the boys are out, but at home and stuff its different. You've seen. I'm quite friendly."