Purple Flower

It was dark. Raining. The streetlamps illuminated the empty street.

It had been a hard day at work. Yako felt anger, annoyance, frustration.

There was a bright light, it blinded him. He felt his grip on the steering wheel slip and a rush of adrenaline as the car swerved in all directions.

He saw flashes of white, red, orange, redder, and then black.

And then it went white again. And he saw faces looking at him, and felt the hospital lights shining. He felt curled as voices shouted in the distance.

And then everything was black again.

He opened his eyes, breathing hard as his heart was beating so fast it could barely be felt. Moya looked at him calmly and cautiously.

— "Did you remember?"

— "It was..."

— "Car crash.". He paused. — "Coma."

— "You mean ... are we in my head?".

— "Not exactly. I don't know." Moya pursed his lips as he considered how to explain.

— "Why are you here?". Moya just shook his head, refusing to answer his question.

— "How do I get out?"

Moya looked at the other with pain in his eyes.

— "Do you still want to get out?". He asked calmly. Yako nodded. – "Are you sure? I mean, you saw how wonderful this place is."

— "I know the truth now, I don't belong here. I want to leave."

Moya sighed sadly, and finally said.

— "Okay. I'll help you."

— "Thank you.".

The pink mist surrounding them faded, and slowly he wound their way to the waterfront pier. They got out of the boat, the greenish-haired boy leading the way along worn trails surrounded by bushes. Yako, speechless, followed him.

Finally, the tracks ended up into a tunnel, and Moya stopped abruptly.

— "This is it.".

He looked into the tunnel. There were lights that illuminated both sides, growing brighter and brighter so the end was just a blinding white glow.

— "I go there?" Yako asked, slightly afraid.

— "You go there, and you never come back."

He looked back. At that moment Moya looked smaller than ever, with his arms crossed over his chest and his eyes looking everywhere but Yako's face.

— "Come with me." Moya froze.

— "Come with me. Let's leave this place."

— "I...".

— "It's not real, Moya." He kept making sure to make eye contact with  the greenish boy's eyes.

— "I can't.". Moya whispered. – "I wasn't happy there. Now I am. I'm happy here. You should go now." Moya then turned, and from the nearby bush pulled out a beautiful vivid purple flower, placing it behind the other's ear.

They both gave one last long look at eachother until Moya smile softly and wave at him.

Yako turned and entered the tunnel, and as he walked, he felt the light surrounding and blinding him until he could feel nothing.

He opened one eye and heard a constant beep beside his ear.

He opened the other eye and then saw his mother's shocked face, standing beside the bed, shaking his hand.

— "Yako? Yako? Can you hear me? Doctor!"

He then awkwardly reached and pulled a flower behind his ear. A beautiful purple flower. He remained staring at it while his mother returned to the room. Doctors and nurses were hurrying and shouting questions at him but he couldn't listen to them at that moment. In the background, the tv reporter said.

— "An update on the tragic accident at the intersection of Hitory St. and Reuel Hesse Road. One victim was injured and hospitalized, but is already stable. Unfortunately, the other boy involved in the accident could not resist his injuries and passed away."