Chapter Thirty-Five

As soon as the sun broke through the dirty window pane, Vernice was up and pushing them out the door. There was no one in the hallway, but she had them hide their faces nonetheless as she escorted them to the end of the street, not speaking a word until they had turned the corner and were out of sight of the apartment building.

"Just remember to keep me out of this," she hissed, her eyes darting about as she resumed the nervous demeanor she had displayed when they first met. "Took a lot of work to get myself out of all that shady business back home, I don't wanna get pulled into it again. And I don't want Granny getting hurt, either."

"Your secret is safe with me," Booker assured her. "And I would like to thank you for all of your assistance."

Nodding, Vernice yanked her top hat lower and looked in all directions before leaning in close. "Between you and me, I hope you find this fellow before a certain rodent does."

"What is your revulsion towards them?" Booker asked.

"Mostly my former dealings with them when I was involved with trafficking back in the day. They're more heartless than any gang I've ever known."

"How do you know I'm not as heartless as they are? Surely my notoriety for ungodly medical practices has preceded me."

"It has. But like I said, Granny has nothing but good things to say about you. And I put a lot more faith in her word than the word of night flowers and thieves."

A smile tugged at Booker's mouth.

"I gotta go before Granny wakes up," Vernice said as she glanced behind her. "Take care. And please don't break into any more rooms. Can't promise I'll get there before someone bashes your brains in next time."

"Warning well-taken. Thank you again."

Once Vernice slinked off, Trinket, Booker, and Gin made their way back home. Gin rubbed at her shoulder, and Booker eyed her anxiously. "How's your arm?" he asked.

She waved him away. "Fine. Just sore. Not used to sleeping indoors."

"You should really let me put it in a sling. It will help the healing process."

She shot him a look. "A sling? You know how weak that'll make me look? Ain't gonna happen. I got a reputation to uphold."

Booker turned to Trinket, and she shrugged. He let out a sigh as they continued down the street.

"So what's your plan now?" Gin asked as they passed through the city center.

"I'm thinking I'll put out word that I'm looking for a fresh body to dissect. See who offers. Hopefully he'll show up."

"After that attack, don't you suppose he'll be a bit more cautious about taking on more clients?" Trinket asked.

"Perhaps. If he doesn't respond, I guess I'll have to come up with a new plan."

He seemed reluctant to consider this possibility, though. She couldn't blame him after all the leads they had gotten that only led to dead ends. She wasn't sure he could deal with more disappointment.

"I'm off to do business," Gin said as they entered the slums.

"Are you sure you won't let me look at your arm again?" Booker asked.

"Blast it all, Booker, quit treating me like a child. I'm fine."

He sighed. "Very well. But if the pain gets worse, I insist you come find me."

Rolling her eyes, she looked at Trinket. "Would you settle him down or something? He's driving me insane with his nagging."

Trinket smiled. "I'll do my best. Take care, Gin."