Part 11

Sam's P.O.V

"Did you manage to get through to Brennan"? Elton asked, handing me a bottle of water he'd just got from the vending machine.

"Yeah. He said him and Colby would be getting the next plane from Miami to LA so they'll be here by tonight"

"Sam, maybe you should go home and take a shower. Mara is going to be in surgery for another couple of hours so there's no point you staying here stressing yourself out. Me and Corey will stay here and update you on anything that happens. You're no use to anybody when you're stressed out, especially not Mara" Elton offered, placing his hand on my shoulder.

"No I can't leave. She needs me to be here".

"Sam, Elton's right. Mara would hate to see you so stressed out. I mean, when was the last time you slept? Because don't take this the wrong way muffin, but you look like death" Becky agreed with Elton, but the death joke got a lot of wrong and evil glares from other people sat in the hospital waiting room.

"Oooo, who knew people could be so touchy. But seriously Sam, Mara needs you to be healthy and refreshed so you can be here in the right frame of mind when she wakes up. Plus, after all the stuff that happened between her and Colby I don't think you two being in the same room is a good idea" She continued and I noticed the glare she got from Elton.

"What happened between her and Colby?" I demanded an answer, standing up.

"Well, I'm guessing I wasn't supposed to tell you that" Becky answered sarcastically.

"Elton? What's going on"? I asked, turning to face him.

"Colby asked Mara to marry him and when she said no he left and she didn't know he was going to Miami. She's been trying to call him all day and he hasn't been answering. She made me promise not to tell you Sam as she didn't want to worry you. You're sister is strong and whatever has gone on between her and Colby, she can get through it by herself" He replied.

"That's the point, Elton. I'm her older brother, she shouldn't have to deal with anything by herself as long as she has me. So that explains why Colby didn't answer my calls. God, how could he be so selfish? He knew we weren't supposed to stress her out as it. This is his fault. My sister is in there fighting for her life and it's all because of him".

"Sam, I know Colby has made mistakes and what he's done today was stupid and selfish and I'm not going to try and justify his actions as I can't. But he's your best friend and has been since the 8th grade. Whatever is going on is between him and Mara. Don't let it ruin your relationship" Corey came over and joined in the conversation.

"He's already ruined our relationship. As far as I'm concerned me and Colby are nothing to each other anymore".

"Urm, Sam, you might wanna see this" Becky ordered as I turned to see her on her phone, staring at a picture of Colby with some other girl.

Before I could say anything I saw Colby and Brennan walk into the room, and my blood began to boil and I could feel the anger rising.

"You have no right to be here. Not anymore and not after what you've done. Mara is better off without you here" I snapped, walking towards him until we were only a few centermeters apart.

"Sam, lets not do this here"

"No Colby, lets do this here. My sister needed you, and what do you do? You run away to California and leave her here alone, fighting for her fricking life. Oh, and lets not forget what you got up to whilst you were in Miami" I snatched Becky's phone out of her hand and shoved the picture in his face.

"That is not what that looks like. I wouldn't cheat on Mara"

"No, you wouldn't cheat. But you would leave her here by herself knowing she was really sick and needed you, and you would stress her out to the point where she passed out and had to be rushed to emergency surgery to save her life. But god forbid that you'd cheat" I shouted, people now turning and staring.

"Now isn't the time and its definitly not the place for this. When Mara comes out of surgery the last thing she needs is you two at each others throats. So I don't care what you have to do but stop arguing and swallow your pride. You aren't here for each other, you're here for Mara. Remember that" Brennan ordered, standing in between me and Colby.

I backed down and returned to my seat just as the doctor walked out.

"You're sister is out of surgery and as far as we can tell at the moment everything went as planned. However we can't make a decision whether it has stopped the internal bleeding yet as we need to run a few more tests. She has been put in the I.C.U for the time being so we can keep and eye on her and make sure any complications can be caught early to stop this from happening again. Now she is stable but she isn't awake yet and is under many drugs, so for a few hours she will be very unaware of her surroundings and she may be a little confused. The most important thing for the time being is that we keep her relaxed as any fast movements can rip her wounds. All of you are more than welcome to go in and see her together. And I know none of you are planning to leave the hospital until she is so we've put her in a bigger room with a few other beds and sofas. My colleague here will show you to her room" He smiled, everybody taking a breath of relief.

"Thank you so much" I thanked him, shaking his hand.

He nodded and walked off.

We followed the nurse down the hall and she opened Mara's hospital room and let us all in before leaving and closing the door behind her.

"She looks so peaceful and fragile" Colby walked towards her and took her hand in his.

My fists clenched but Elton gave me a death stare so I soon released my fists.

She began stiring until her eyes opened.

"Mara?" Colby asked, as she turned to see him, she calmy pulled her hand out of his.

"I'm so sorry. I promise I'm going to make it up to you. I should've been here and I know I acted like a bad boyfriend and it will never happen again"

She ignored him and instead called my name.

"I don't want him here" She whispered softly, refering to Colby.

"I think its best if you go" I demanded, trying not to raise my voice.

"What? No. Mara please don't do this" He begged.

"Go away Colby. You weren't here when I needed you and I got through it just fine. So I definitly don't need you now. So please just go" She asked.

Elton walked over to him and placed his hand on his shoulder, "Colby I think it's best for you to go. Just for now".

He took one last look at Mara before turning to walk out of the door.

"Colby one more thing" Mara asked, causing him to turn around.

"For you to act like a bad boyfriend, you'd have to be my boyfriend. But whatever we had is gone"

He nodded in agreement, turning to face the floor and walking out.