The Anomaly

Never did I like the smell of bleach. The sharp scented chemical is meant to clean white fabric. The only thing I liked about it was nothing. It was pointless in my opinion. It also seemed to be very slippery when poured across a flat surface.

I loved my job, but it appeared that it had brought me to the one place that contained one of my greatest dislikes, a chemical plant that produced bleach.

Seriously?

The sole purpose of our mission was to find the two people who had been consecutively breaking into the plant and stealing equipment. The only evidence that the investigators gave us was a small, blurry photo of two figures.

I snorted irritatedly. The ever present scent was getting on my nerves. Hopefully, I would get to shift during this mission. The last two missions hadn't required a scaly, fire breathing beast.

I started to wonder how we even got here in the first place. The conversation from earlier that day came back to my mind...

"This plant needs a serious update. They have one security camera at the entrance. That's it." Neil grumbled under his breath from the opposite side of the table.

Neil is our computer geek. He can turn a simple laptop into a weaponized hacking device. Don't underestimate his physical abilities either. I've seen him take out a full grown man with just a few kicks.

I nodded, "Well, I guess that explains why our image of these guys is so pixelized."

"We don't need photos and fancy modern technology to catch a pair of thieves." Elias slid up by my side.

Elias joined this team the same time I did. Unlike the rest of our teammates who are older by ten years, we're the closest in age. We've been through so much together. Sometimes I wonder how we're still alive after all the crazy incidents we have endured.

Alex, our brave and bold leader, walked up with crossed arms, "True, but explain why the local police can't even catch these two. They're slippery. We wouldn't have been called in for something as simple as two robbers targeting a factory."

Reina and Westen hadn't added in their own opinions yet. I could see their gears working. They were thinking of a plan. Those two seemed to always come up with the best and sometimes wildest plans.

Reina always kept a firearm close in case of emergencies. Westen was the same, but his size usually gave him an excuse to use his fists.

We had stopped at a simple fast food restraunt before heading to the next town over. The less time we spent in the town of our mission, the less suspicious we would attract. We come and leave witbout a trace. A tactic we practiced every single week.

Reina suddenly jumped up, "They always target the most expensive equipment. We'll position around those."

The memory of our earlier conversation faded away. Reina's idea had brought us into the very depths of the plant. The further we went, the more irritated I became by the biting scent in the air.

The others couldn't smell or even detect any scent of bleach. In this case, my higher senses were crippling.

"It might have been best of you stayed outside during this mission." Elias whispered from my right.

Elias seemed to always notice when I was bothered by anything big or small. His eyebrows would scrunch together moments before a question pertaining to my wellbeing left his lips.

The two of us were in the west wing of the plant. By then, my sinuses were burning like fire. I merely gave Elias a look saying that I agreed.

He thumbed behind him, "There was an exit a few yards back. I'll stand ground here. You can get some fresh air."