Chapter XXXIV

"You guys find anything out?" Noctis asked.

Standing on the dais in the village's center, the prince and his friends met back up. They had been reluctant to leave Angelica, but since she insisted on being left alone, the four decided to split up and gather information. After all, they were suspicious of Thanatos and didn't quite trust him.

"Well, despite being assassins, the residents here pretty much do things like ordinary people," Prompto said.

"Yeah, aside from the 'assassinating' part," Gladio added. "And everyone seems to wear the same thing."

"You noticed it too?" Ignis chimed in. "Every person is wearing a black jacket. They all bear the same characteristics - long sleeves, high collar, and accented with what I presume is their clan color."

"Really?" Noctis questioned. "Everyone?"

"From what I've seen," the shield replied. "Everyone except Thanatos."

"Hey, you're right," the gunman said, thinking back on it.

Ignis pushed up his glasses. "I also witnessed a young boy exhibiting odd behavior."

"Odd how?" the prince asked.

"Well, the child was helping his mother with some shopping when his whole body seemed to convulse and he furiously clawed at the back of his neck. But after a mere moment, he was back to normal, and everyone carried on like it never happened. It was strange for certain, but I don't know if it's relevant to our investigation."

Noctis was silent, thinking on it. Prompto was the first to speak again, "So, do you think Angel might actually decide to stay here?" His tone gave away his worry.

Noctis sighed. "I... I don't know."

"Let us hope we can talk some sense into her," Ignis said. "There is surely a reason Miss Valerie never brought her back here, and also..." He briefly turned his gaze downward toward the ground. "I certainly loathe the idea of parting with her."

"Don't you worry, Iggy," Gladio said. "We're not splitting up this group just yet. Let's go make sure our opinions are heard."

~~~~~

Angelica hummed in content. The past hour had been the most relaxing hour of her life. She had Bellus, her own happy-go-lucky servant, pampering her. Bellus was a sweet girl, treating Angelica with the utmost respect and kindness. Even now, while the redhead soaked in a warm bubble bath, Bellus gently combed through her hair.

"You're hair is sooo beautiful, Lady Angelica."

Angelica smiled to herself. "Thank you."

"The Solani's are so lucky. Their red hair is the prettiest thing. It looks like the fiery life force of a phoenix plume."

"Bellus, if I decided to stay here, in Secreta, would you still want to work for me?"

"Oh, but of course, my lady!" There wasn't a second of hesitation in the girl's answer. "This is what my clan has always done, and to follow in the footsteps of those before me would be a huge honor!"

Angelica grinned. "Then it may just work out after all." Her plans came to mind, turning her grin into a devious one. "It could finally happen. Niflheim took everything away from me, and now, with my dad and all of you, I can finally take my revenge."

"Oooh, definitely!" Bellus cheered. "We could totally take 'em all down! After all, those who mess with the assassins are sure to die!"