ch | 1

Chapter 1 | I Thought

The fresh smell of apple pie filled me in just when I entered the kitchen. The tea party by the gardens had just started, but I immediately reported to the kitchen to help in serving the guests outside.

"Oh, dearie!"

I grinned at the sweet voice of Mrs. Pie. Aside from Madelaine, she is one of those who I like ever since I lived off to work. She's a very full woman and a good chef. I envy her every time.

"Sit down, sit down!" She offered me a stool to sit on but I quickly shook my head to refuse.

"I came here to get another tray of cookies."

"Ran out already? Just how many guests are there?" She shakes her head and begins stacking warm chocolate chip cookies on a serving plate.

"More than we expected."

Mrs. Pie jokingly shooed me away when she shoved a tray of cookies towards me. I gladly picked it up and headed to the gardens.

A few fine guests from the capital came but mostly were other lower royals from allied countries. I caught a glimpse of King Mark talking to the Dutchess of Wardon as I made my way quietly to the table to place the cookies.

I lowered my gaze. It was yet again another normal party to strengthen the relationship within the King's coordinates.

When I placed the tray down, a hand mischievously dug into the pile and grabbed the biggest cookie. My eyes widen in surprise at the sudden movement.

"Your Highness," I bowed gracefully.

"What took the cookies to arrive so long?" Prince Toby asked, a tone of impatience in his voice.

Prince Connor steps in beside him, taking the cookie from Prince Toby, only to get punched on the arm for taking it.

"My apologies, Your Highness."

I glanced at the brothers discreetly but then I turned around when someone tapped on my shoulder. It was Madelaine. She was out of breath and she looked like she was in a hurry.

"Kali, can you get the pot of sugar I left on the stroller outside the kitchen? I really need to use the bathroom," She pleaded.

"Yes, of course,"

Madelaine dashed to the opposite direction and then I made my way back to find the specific stroller she was talking about.

There was a silver one just beside the chimney stations and there was one white ceramic pot on it. I opened the lid and it was sugar.

I smiled at myself for finding it so quickly. I did not want to bring the stroller with me so I left with only the pot of sugar on my hands.

I was walking rather quickly back to the gardens so it was no surprise when I tripped over a rock. I shrieked, falling down as I tried to save the pot of sugar but unfortunately, it went out of my grasp and broke into pieces.

I groaned in pain, rubbing at my elbow that now has a bloody scrape. The sugar was spread everywhere and I stared at it, thinking what trouble I just got into.

"Are you just going to sit there?"

My ears ringed at the new voice, whipping my head to the speaker. I gasped, eyes widening as I looked down immediately.

"Y-your Highness," I stuttered.

I shut my eyes tightly close. Out of all people, it was the prince who caught me. At least it was not the King but still! God, why did I trip?

I feel his gaze burning me, possibly planning for the punishment of my carelessness.

"I'm very sorry," I apologized and quickly started to gather the broken pieces that were on the ground. I made a very big mess. Thankfully, we were at a place that was isolated. I would've been watched and judged if I caused my accident at the gardens.

Prince Riley suddenly stretched his hand towards me  and wiggled it as if he was waiting for me to take it. My eyes softened and so did my nerves. I glanced up at him and he was looking at me already.

"Let me help you," He said.

I softly smiled and reached for his hand only to fall back on the ground again because he took it away immediately when I was about to touch it.

He chuckled and then turned serious.

"You really thought I was going to help you?" Prince Riley scoffed, walking away. "Clean it up."