ch | 7

new cover yay! (pretty short chapter btw)

Chapter 7 | Friend

Prince Riley's
Point of View

I watched the sun rise with just one thought in my mind. I know that necklace. I'm certain it's the right one. It's been an entire year ever since recruit '41 was brought in here by my father. That servant was one of them and little did I know she was holding onto it all along. Where did she find it?

I ran my fingers through my hair.

I pulled my cloak and went down to eat breakfast. Everybody was already seated except for my father. My brothers are there and so are our very delightful guests, might I say.

I sent a tight smile towards them. I caught Florence bat her eyelashes and I resisted the urge to suddenly roll my eyes. It's just another usual day.

Third Person
Point of View

"Good morning, my prince." Florence said in her lovable tone that slightly infuriated Prince Riley.

"It's Your Highness to you." He kindly corrected her and sat across from Toby, beside Connor.

Prince Riley was trying his best to hide his sneer. The least he wanted to happen was Lady Florence staying in his grounds. Her twin brother is completely fine but she's a different story. Something about her twists Prince Riley's gut, turning him grumpy and sour in a snap.

"Where is father?" He whispered to Prince Connor.

"Off to Russian Federation to settle things." Connor shrugged. "I don't know when he'd be back."

Riley stared at the shine clean plate before him as he patiently, impatiently, waited for the food to be served. He began tapping on the table as Prince Toby's stomach grumbling passes through his ears.

A bell rang, and he relaxed immediately. The door opens and in went the waiters. A simple breakfast of eggs, pancakes, potato and bread and jam.

As breakfast was being placed on the table, his eyes roam the entire room. He knew she'd be here. She should be here. He didn't place her as close servant for no reason.

There she was by the corner with her only friend, waiting for orders to be taken. A tired and blank look was on her face as she focused on the wall, thinking about nothing in particular.

"Why are you not eating?" Toby asked, shoving a pancake into his mouth.

"Nothing." He muttered.

"Why do you keep on looking at that servant?"

Riley's head shot up, "What?"

Toby shakes his head at him, his eyebrows furrowed. "Stop it. You're scaring the wits out of her."

Toby tilts his head towards Kali's direction and Riley followed, averting his gaze towards her. He noticed how stiff her form was. As if she felt his gaze on her, Kali abruptly glanced at Riley only to regret it a second later. She gulped and turned away, forcing herself to focus on the blank wall.

Riley narrowed his eyes at her, but deep inside he wanted to laugh at how funny her face looked. His eyes fell on her neck where the familiar little golden chain of the necklace rested. His smile faltered.

"I'm not staring at her." Riley said.

Toby snorted at how Riley said that while looking at her face. "Keep telling yourself that."

Riley poured a large amount of syrup on his pancakes.

"Oh! Miss Alexander?" Jace called in realization when he saw Kali's face. It's been only a day since they last saw each other but his eyes lit up like he hasn't seen her in ages.

Kali's eyes nervously trailed to meet Jace's. What are you doing?

"Miss Alexander?" Connor choked in confusion. "Do we have another visitor? Why do people keep appearing out nowhere?" He faces Toby. "Did you know about this?"

Toby shrugged.

Jace looked at them weirdly. "How can you not know your own servant?"

"Servant?" Prince Riley repeated, looking as confused as Prince Connor.

Lord Jace pointed at Kali and everybody at the table quickly followed the direction where he was pointing at. Kali looked elsewhere, pretending like she didn't notice. What is he planning?

Prince Riley narrowed his eyes at Kali and then at Jace.

Lady Florence rolled her eyes, "Ignore him. My brother is only being an obnoxious flirt."

Lord Jace puts down his fork, "You know, I suggest to provide them with name tags. It'll be a lot easier."

Kali heard that and a blush crawled to her cheeks as she remembered the first day she met Lord Jace. Kali coughed and tried to think of something else to distract herself from the tense and awkward conversation at the table.

Until Jace calls her to the table.

Of course Kali had no other choice. She couldn't deny an order. Hesitantly, she took steps towards the dining table. She feels pressured now that everybody's eyes are on her.

In a quick move, Jace pulls her down beside him as his firm arm clings onto her shoulders. Jace grins, "Everyone, I'd like you to meet my friend."