Chapter 2 - Apparently There Are Vampires

Chapter 2

Sky's POV

I was in the too familiar forest. All I could see was the trees that blocked out the only source of light there was outside, the moon. Quiet was all around me, my footsteps the only sound I could make out. My head wasn't too clear and I was focusing hard on not tripping because of the uneven ground beneath me. 

A snap broke the silence and stole all of my focus. Even though the sound had echoed slightly through the woods I was sure of where the sound had come from originally. The strange thing was that when I turned around there wasn't any sign of a being that could have caused the noise. It was possible that I overreacted because of the alcohol in my body. I wasn't wasted, but drinking always affected you no matter how much you've drunk. My heart started to pound in my chest and my breath became a little bit more shaky as I felt fear sneak up on my. For some reason I had a feeling that told me I was in danger. I could feel my hands starting to shake as a mild wind caressed my neck. It wasn't until I had already started to turn around that I realized that the air had been too warm to be wind. 

As I turned around I was suddenly face to face with a man and all I could see was a pair of striking blue eyes. In only a second those eyes had became blood red and the man had grabbed ahold of me. A scream left my lips and echoed through my ears. 

Then my eyes opened and I was in my own room, in my own bed. My breathing was uneven and my heart was beating just as hard as in my dream. It had felt unusually real, the dream. Even though I had been haunted by nightmares before nothing had ever felt as realistic as that one, even if it really had made no sense.

My head turned towards my bedside table and I saw the clock on my nightstand. School had already started and that meant that my two siblings were no longer at home. I should have also been at school, but that wasn't something I prioritized at the moment. It wasn't as if I was graduating that same year and since I had been ahead in all of my classes I figured I could take some time off. Jenna had said that she would leave at ten and it was ten thirty when I had woken up. I was alone in the house.

 After I had made sure that the dream was gone from my thoughts I got out of bed and started making my way out of my room. A though had started to make it's way into my mind as I recalled the conversation Elena had, had with her boyfriend the previous night. It could have been my curiosity that made me glance towards Elena's room and made me walk that way. The door was ajar and tempted me even more. I figured that since Elena and I had through the years gone through each other's diaries plenty of times when we wanted to know things about each other, she wouldn't mind that I did it once more. I simply wanted to know why Stefan and she had been suspiciously weird about me being in the forest.

Dear Diary,

Stefan came by tonight and told me he saw Sky in the woods. Damon was there too and he was about to attack her before Stefan came. I'm afraid he will snap at some point and kill someone I care about. He has already killed Lexi, his 'uncle' and he changed Vicky. Damon can't be trusted.

That was not only crazy and strange but also incredibly confusing. Was that Damon dude some serial killer or something. What had she meant when she had written "he changed Vicky?" I couldn't understand what it all meant.  I had to see what she had written a few days earlier.

Dear Diary,

I'm not a beliver. People are born, they grow old, and then they die, that's the world we live in. There's no magic, no mysticism, no immortality. There is nothing that defies rational thought. People are suposed to be who they say they are and not lie or hide their true selves. It's not possible. I'm not a beliver. I can't be. But how can I deny what's right in front of me? Someone who never grows old. Never gets hurt. Someone who changes in ways who can't be explained. Girls bitten. Bodies drained of blood.

That description only brought me to one conclusion. A conclusion so off te rails that even my dream started to seem more realistic. Was Elena serious? Had she started writing fantasy novels? It all seemed too unbelievable to be true, but there was no sign of it being anything else than a normal entry. Was my sister going insane? I had to read what more she had written.

Dear Diary,

Damon changed Vicky. Then she ran away and at the haunted house she tried to attack Jeremy. I got bitten by her and then Stefan killed her. We had to make Jeremy forget it, so Damon compelled him to forget and to instead think that Vicky left town. Right now I don't really know what to think about anything.

I couldn't really believe it, who would have? Still there was something inside of me that said something else. Maybe it instinct or something similar, but I felt as if a part of me did believe it. Something that didn't just want it to be true, but for some reason knew it was.

Stefan and Damon were vampires, at least according to the diary. Could I believe it though? I knew the answer to that question even before I asked it. No mater how much it bothered me that I didn't know why I suddenly choose to believe it, I did. They were vampires.  

It was just then I realized the horrible reality of it all. The Salvatore brothers were creatures that sucked blood from humans and they had been killing people in Mystic Falls. They were murderers. Creatures from stories.

That was when something hit me. Stories. My parents had told me stories when I was younger. Stories about vampires and about a council that were there to protect the town from them. A council my parents had said they were apart of. Those stories had been told with such detail that I had been amazed by them. That must have been because they were actually true. My parents had been vampire hunters, kind of. 

I remembered that in one of the stories they spoke about how our family had secret places where we hid things about the creatures. Our house had held journals written by our ancestors, while the lake house had held weapons that could protect us from vampires. Maybe I was crazy, but I had to know if it was true. I had to know, not only if the stories were true, but if vampires actually existed. 

I rushed downstairs and out of the house after I had put on some clothes. Without thinking much about it I hopped onto my motorbike and speeded towards the lake house. My motorbike had been a gift from my uncle and after my parents death the cops didn't really care that I wasn't exactly allowed to drive it yet. 

Once I came to the lake house I fished out my keys from my jacket pocket. As quickly as I could I opened the door and hurried inside. Adrenalin was soaring through my body and I was set on the goal in front of me. In no time I was in my parents' old room and I had opened up the closet. After moving the clothes to the side I did as my parents had done in the stories. I started to knock on the planks until I could hear the echoing sound that told me it was hollow. 

Once I pulled away enough planks a room of was greeted me. Different weapons, from stakes to crossbows, were stacked in the room. That was all the confirmation I needed. That was how I became completely sure that it was all true. It was also then that I could decide what to do next. With my eyes on the weapons in front of me I came to conclusion on what I had to do. After grabbing a few of the weapons I thought I could handle I left the room with the planks barely put back in place. 

I was going to pay a visit to the Salvatore brothers.

Second chapter, what do you think? :) The vote button is still there if you like it. ;) 

SoFoXD