TWELVE

"Leah."

"You did the right thing when you came to us."

"We're going to save them."

"Don't worry, you won't remember a thing." 

Slowly, my eyelids pulled apart and I was met with sunlight shining in my eyes. I noticed that I was laying on something that wasn't a sheet. I looked up and was met with Thomas, sleeping while his head rested on mine. I smiled softly as I heard his calm breathing and remembered what we did last night.

A thin sheet was covering our intertwined bodies and I enjoyed the warmth radiating off of his body. He was like my own personal heater. I wrapped my arms around his bare torso and nestled my head in the crook of his neck. He let out a tiny grunt as he shifted slightly. His eyes opened and I got to drown in his whiskey-coloured eyes again. "Morning," he said in a raspy morning voice.

"Goodmorning. Did you sleep well?" I asked. I reached over to press a lingering kiss to his lips.

"Definitely. You?" he replied after he pulled back.

A smile tugged at the corners of my lips as I said, "Of course."

"I have to get going or Minho will find an empty Pit," Thomas said as he sat up. He grabbed his pants from one of the tree's many branches and put them on. I fished his shirt from the other side of the bed and tossed it his way. He smiled in return as he handed me my things.

We got dressed quickly before we jumped from the tree. "I'll see you in a few." He pressed a chaste kiss to my head before dashing off. I was left alone with my thoughts and a large smile broke through on my face. Unconsciously, I let out a bubbly giggle as I dug my teeth into my bottom lip. I felt like a giddy teenager, but I couldn't care less.

I waited a few minutes before following Thomas's footsteps to the Runner's shack. I found Minho and Thomas stretching their legs and I waved at them while approaching them. "Morning, sunshine. Where've you been all night?" Minho asked.

"In my tree, I couldn't sleep so I went to clear my mind." I looked around the very empty area. "Hey, Minho, where are the other Runners?" I asked.

"They quit. After what happened to Alby, no one's willing to go back into the Maze," Minho sighed.

"They quit?! Are you serious?" I exclaimed.

"Unfortunately, yes. We're on our own," he said.

We heard footsteps approaching and I turned around. It was Chuck, sweaty and out of breath. "Chuck, what's going on?" Thomas asked. Chuck leaned over and gasped for air. I jogged over to his side and patted his back.

"Easy there. Breathe first, then talk," I reminded him. It took Chuck a few minutes before he could properly breathe again.

"It's Alby, he got worse," he told us. My eyes shot to Minho and in a few seconds, the three of us were dashing in the direction of the med-jack shack. I burst through the door and found Alby. Newt, Gally and a few other Gladers were holding Alby down as foam was pouring out of the corners of his mouth and he was yelling inaudible words.

"Alby, Alby, it's me, it's Leah. Calm down, okay? We're going to help you," I said, holding his head in my hands. His eyes were animal-like. They didn't seem to recognize me the way they used to do.

A few more Gladers came in, including Teresa. A lightbulb went on in my head as soon as I saw her. "Teresa, where are the syringes? The ones you showed me."

"I have them here, why?" she asked, taking the two tubes from her pocket. I snatched one from her hands and held them above Alby's chest.

"Whoah, what are you doing?" Newt protested.

"This might save him, Teresa had these in her pocket when she came up so I think they are to save Alby," I said, aiming for one of Alby's veins.

"What if it kills him?" Gally objected.

"He's already dying, this is our only option." With those words, I jammed the syringe in Alby's chest. It released a hissing sound as the blue liquid disappeared. Alby calmed down and fell back into his slumber.

A moment of tense silence followed. 

"Okay," Newt spoke up first. "From now on, someone stays here and watches him around the clock." 

"Are the Runners still going out?" I asked Newt.

"No, I think it's better for you to stay here. We don't know what is going to happen to Alby and since you and Minho are closest to him and most likely to be able to calm him down in case anything happens, you're staying." Those were Newt's final words before he exited the med-jack shack. The rest of the Gladers followed and I was left alone with Alby, Minho, and Thomas. I sat down beside Alby's bed and grabbed his hand in both of mine. 

"You'll be okay, right, Al? We've been through so much, this can't be the end," I mumbled. Minho stood next to me and placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. We remained in silence, progressing everything that had just happened. I needed to get everyone out of here, it was no longer safe. With Alby gone, I had the responsibility of finding a way out of the Maze.

"Hey, Minho, it's not too late to get out there, is it?"

A shorter chapter, but I hope you enjoyed it nonetheless! What do you think so far?