TWENTY-FIVE - FLASHBACKS

L E A H 

"Morning, buddy." I plopped down next to Chuck. He sent me a broad smile.

"Guess what I dreamed last night!" he excitedly said. I tapped my chin as I thought. 

"You were having dinner and you had fries and a big, juicy steak," I grinned. 

"Close, but no," Chuck said and I giggled. "We found a way out. You got us out and outside were our parents. None of us remembered them of course but as soon as I saw mine, I knew they were my parents. They were proud of me. They cheered loudly and hugged me, saying how much they missed me." 

I smiled softly. "That's really beautiful, Chuck." 

N E W T

"The box is coming up tomorrow, guess what that means?"  I asked Chuck as we walked through the Glade. Chuck looked at me in question. "That means you're no longer the Newbie," I grinned. Chuck let out a laugh.

"I'm just happy Gally didn't challenge me to that wrestling match thing he apparently does when new Greenies arrive," Chuck stated. 

"Oh, but you would've won. You know, Gally has a soft spot for Greenies like you. He doesn't want to admit it, but he thinks small boys like yourself can beat him because you rely on your wit instead of your strength." I nodded meaningfully. 

"You're joking, Newt," Chuck laughed. I did too and wrapped an arm around his shoulders, taking him with me. 

M I N H O

"What's out there?" Chuck asked as we were sitting by the bonfire. It was his second day here and he hadn't asked about the Maze yet. 

"Do you really want to know?" When he nodded, I continued. "A giant Maze. That's why we're still here. We've been trying to find a way out for three years now." 

"Three years?" I moved my head up and down. "Who's we?" 

"Me and the Runners, they're the only ones brave enough to go out there. We run around the Maze all day, trying to map it and find a possible way out," I said. 

"That sound tiring," He sighed. 

I chuckled. "Yeah, it does." 

T E R E S A

It was late at night, everyone was asleep, except for me. Thomas was in the Pit and Leah had left about an hour ago. I sat up in my hammock and looked around. I smiled softly as Chuck's eyes met mine. 

"Can't sleep?" he whispered. I shook my head. "I understand. I couldn't sleep much in my first week either," He stated. He sat up too. "You know what I do when I can't sleep?" Chuck asked me. I looked at him, telling him to continue. "I sneak to Frypan's kitchen, get a glass of milk and sit down by the pond. You'll be asleep before you know it."

I laughed lightly. "But what if I don't like milk?" I asked jokingly, not even knowing whether I liked milk or not. 

"Then you just pinch your nose and drink it anyway," Chuck grinned, earning a giggle from me. 

Z A R T

"Chuck, you're late again!" I called as Chuck scurried toward the Track-Hoes. 

"Sorry, Zart. Alby needed me," he panted as he approached me. I shook my head and grinned. 

"Just grab a shovel and start plowing the piece of land there." I motioned vaguely with my hand. 

"Yeah, you have to be a bit more specific with that," Chuck stated. I sighed and dropped my head as I placed my hands on my hips. 

"You see Jim over there?" Chuck nodded as I pointed at the dark-haired boy standing a few feet away from us. "Good, you're going to help him plow the land he's standing on." I patted his back. 

"Okay, thanks, Zart." I watched with a smile as Chuck immediately started chatting with Jim.

C L I N T

"And then she was like, 'Chuck, you can get him a hammock, right?', I was like, 'Yeah, definitely.' I put that hammock up all by myself! I couldn't even do that on my own a week ago when Frankie's hammock broke and I had to fix it when I was with the other Sloppers," Chuck excitedly chatted as he watched me stitch a small wound on someone's shin. 

"That's great, Chuck. Good to hear you're finding your place with us," I smiled genuinely. 

"What is it like being a Med-Jack?" he asked, resting his chin on his hand. 

"It's a lot of the same stuff, people being clumsy and coming to me to get patched up," I replied. 

"And Jeff? Does he do the same stuff?" Chuck asked. 

"Yep, though he doesn't do the bloody stuff. He faints at the sight of a lot of blood," I grinned. 

"Really? A Med-Jack afraid of blood?" 

"I'm not afraid of blood!" I heard Jeff call from the other room. 

"Sure, you are." I winked at Chuck who laughed in response. 

A L B Y

Chuck and I were preparing the council hall for a gathering. He was placing the stools, chairs, and benches in a circle and I was sweeping the floor. 

"Hey, Alby?" Chuck spoke up. I stopped my broom and leaned on it with my arm. 

"Yeah?" I replied. He was looking at the ground in thought. 

"Do you think we're ever getting out of here?" Insecurity and vulnerability were lacing his voice. 

"We're doing everything we can to get out of here, Chuck," I stated before going back to cleaning the floor again. 

"But do you think we're going to find a way out?" He continued. I stopped again. 

"I hope so. This isn't a place to stay forever." 

"You know what I'm going to do when I get out?" He giddily asked. I looked at him in question, encouraging him to continue. 

"I'm going to kiss the floor, no matter how gross it is," Chuck laughed. I let out a joyous chuckle. 

"I don't doubt you will," I stated amusedly. 

T H O M A S

"Hey, Chuck," I muttered as he sat down next to me. 

"How's it going?" He asked. It was my first evening. The sun had just gone down and I was still recovering from the moment that the doors closed. 

"Okay, I guess. It's all just a bit surreal," I smiled sadly. 

"I get that. I clunked my pants three times before they got me out of the pit," He chatted. I chuckled. He grabbed something from his pocket. It was a small, white man made out of wood. 

"Whoah, that came out pretty good," I stated. "What's it for?" 

"It's for my parents," he replied, inspecting the small object. I frowned slightly. 

"Do you remember your parents?" I asked. 

"No," He said sadly. "Well, I mean, I know I must have them. Wherever they are, I'm sure they miss me, but I can't miss them because I don't remember them." He handed me his craft. "I want you to take it to them if you ever get out of here." He pressed it firmly into my palm before he stood up. 

"Hey, Chuck," I called. He turned back to me and I got up from the floor. "Give me your hand," I ordered and he did as I said. 

"I want you to give it to them yourself."