EIGHTEEN - FLASHBACK

The loud sound of cars rattling by woke me from my slumber. I quickly sat up and untied the ropes tied around my thighs. I stuffed everything into my backpack and jumped from the tree, hiding behind its thick trunk. 

About seven cars and vans came speeding by my tree, armed soldiers and guards sitting on the roofs of the vehicles, holding loaded guns to their chests. I carefully peered around the tree's trunk. I waited until the group of cars was far away until I came out of hiding and continued to follow the trail I had been following for the past four weeks. 

I had hopped from village to village, never staying anywhere longer than two days. I would observe and find an older woman to spend the night. It was always the older women who would most likely take a complete stranger into their house and take care of them. I'd put up a nice story of how I had been on my own ever since my mother died and that I had no one to stay with. 

I could just see their heart break at my story and they'd let me in instantly. They'd make sure I could shower, eat and have a nice bed or couch to sleep on. 

Early in the morning, I'd pack a small stash of food and fresh water so I could last for a bit longer. I'd leave the house without saying anything to them. 

It had been three days since I had seen the last town. My water was gone and I had no food left. The only thing that kept me going was the thought of vengeance on the disease that had killed my mother. 

The scorching sun shone down on my body, burning my exposed shoulders. 

Sudden noises caught my attention and I stopped dead in my tracks. I peered over the hill that I had been climbing and almost gasped. It was a town, finally. I picked up the pace and almost jogged to find shade. I let out a relieved sigh as I reached one of the building's shadows. 

I slid down the wall and caught my breath. I listened to the many sounds and noises that came from the crowded town. I smelled the scent of freshly made bread and grilled meat and I heard the excited chatter of people on the streets. 

I exited the shade, immediately regretting it as the sun shone directly on my already burnt skin. I wandered around the tiny market of five stands, greeting a few people as I looked for my next host. I found an elder woman packing a few loaves of bread in her bag. 

I nonchalantly followed her as she walked to her home. I waited a few minutes after she entered her house until I stepped into my other persona and frantically knocked on her door. 

"Can you please help me? My mother died and I ran out of food and water days ago." I faked a few tears and the woman instantly took me in. She showed me the bathroom where I could freshen up as she started preparing a meal for me. 

I hissed as I applied an ice-cold cloth to my sunburnt shoulders. The stinging pain I had been feeling subsided as the cold infiltrated my skin. I cleaned my face from the built-up sand and dust from the last few days and brushed my crimson waves with my fingers, pulling out any knots it consisted. 

I also filled my water bottle and took a few large gulps, feeling the cold liquid stream down my dehydrated throat. 

I heard a knock on the front door of the house and turned off the water, trying to understand what they were saying, but the voices of the person at the door and my host were soft and muffled. I couldn't understand anything.

I heard the door close and I came out of hiding. "Who was that?" I asked nonchalantly. 

"Someone who told me not to use the water supply, it consists of the Flare. You didn't drink the water, did you?" She asked. A cold shiver ran down my spine. 

"N-No, of course not." I faked a smile. 

"Good. I made you dinner, I hope you're hungry." She pointed at the table standing in the kitchen where a plate filled with potatoes, beans and a piece of meat was placed. A glass of milk was standing next to it. 

"I am, thank you." I sat down at the table and starting munching away the food. You could've given me anything and I would've thought that it was the best thing I had ever tasted. 

In no time, my plate was empty and I offered the woman to do the dishes. She gratefully accepted and sat down on the couch, reading a book. 

While I was doing the dishes, I thought about my next steps. I needed to find WCKD. I knew I was heading in the right direction, I needed to find the Last City. 

"Can I ask you something?" I asked the woman. 

"Anything, dear," she responded.

"What is the Last City?" 

"It's the last real city on earth, they only let non-infected people in," she said. 

"Do you know where it is?" I continued, focused on the dishes in the sink. 

"It's not far from here. I've heard many people here talking about how they're going to try to get it, yet half of this town is infected," she said. "Why did you ask?" 

"I heard someone outside talking about it and I was wondering what it was," I smiled innocently. 

I finished up putting away the dishes before speaking up again. "Is there a chance I could stay the night here?" 

"Yes, of course, no problem. I have an empty bed anyway," she said and showed me an empty bedroom with neatly made sheets lying on an old mattress. 

"Whose bed was this?" I asked. 

"My son's, he passed away two years ago." She averted her eyes to the floor. 

"I'm sorry to hear that." I placed a gentle hand on her shoulder and she patted it with her own. 

"It's getting late, you should go to sleep. I'm sure you're exhausted." I nodded and entered the bedroom, shutting the door behind me.

I kicked off my shoes and shook off my shirt before lying down under the covers. Sleep immediately consumed me. 

I woke up the next morning when it was still dark, feeling a lot more rested than I had been in days. I got dressed again and sneaked into the kitchen where I packed a bread and a few cans of food. I also found a big jerrycan of water and filled my water bottle with it. 

I exited the house, silently shutting the front door.