Chapter 25 | Herbology & Howlers

The next day, the second year students gathered in the green house. All the students wore a beige cloak over their uniforms; a piece of clothing that would be able to get a little dirty during their greenhouse lessons. The students were talking to each other until their professor entered the greenhouse.

Their greenhouse professor was a rather short lady. She had a well-rounded and she was short in size. She had very short, curly grey hair that bundled up underneath her brown witch hat. She had big brown eyes and she had a big soft heart. She was the Head of the Hufflepuff House.

She stepped into the greenhouse and stood at the end of the table. She reached over and tapped her wand on one of the clay flowerpots, drawing the attention of her young students. They turned towards her and stepped up to the table.

"Good morning, everyone." She yelled due to the fact that she had earmuffs over her ears.

"Good morning, Professor Sprout." All the students said simultaneous. The one little girl (who could not speak) looked around the room, pursing her lips together in defeat. She turned her head towards her professor, leaning forward in eagerness.

"Welcome to Greenhouse Three, second years. Gather around, everyone. Today we're going to re-pot mandrakes," Professor Sprout said, picking up a rather large pot and setting it on the table. "Who here can tell me the properties of the Mandrake root?"

Instantly, Hermione's hand shot into the air. The professor looked right towards her, lifting her hand and calling on her name. The other children turned his heads and looked towards the young girl who knew-it-all.

"Yes, Miss Granger?" Professor Sprout questioned.

"Mandrake or Mandragora is used to return those who have been petrified to their original state. It's also dangerous. The mandrake's cry is fatal to anyone who hears it," Hermione stated. The professor nodded her head in confirmation.

"Excellent! Ten points to Gryffindor," Professor Sprout announced. The other Gryffindor students smiled to themselves, nodding towards their fellow student with thankful eyes. The Slytherin students rolled their eyes in annoyance, mentally scoffing to themselves.

While Professor Sprout was explaining some of the properties of the mandrakes, Draco looked across the table with narrowed eyes. He took a single step back so that the professor would not see him. He cupped his hands around his mouth.

"Hey! Psst! You little mute mouse," he whispered loud enough for the other children to hear. In response, Rose whipped her head towards him and looked at him with glaring eyes. He nudged his two friends in their side, pointing towards her. She gritted her teeth together, spinning her head towards her professor. She raised her head in the air, paying no mind to the teasing boys.

In response, Ron and Harry turned their heads towards the Slytherin students. They shook their heads in disapproval. "Leave her alone, Malfoy." Harry said in a low whisper. The Malfoy boy raised his eyebrows in amusement, mentally stating what they planned to do if he didn't stop. They sent him some warning glares.

"The little mute mouse can't even speak for herself. She has to have a translator speak for her," Draco said in a low chuckle. In a second, Harry's fists clenched together in anger. He wanted so badly to punch that spoiled boy in the nose. He kept his anger to himself.

"Is there something you would like to share with the class, Mr Malfoy?" Madam Sprout said, raising her voice. The blonde haired boy turned his head and looked towards his professor. His cheeks burned a fierce pink from the embarrassment of being called out in class. He swallowed thickly, looking down at his feet.

"N-No, Professor Sprout." Draco mumbled under his breath.

"That's what I thought. Five points from Slytherin," Professor Sprout announced. The other Slytherin students groaned to themselves, cursing their foolish classmate for his endless teasingly. The Malfoy boy turned his head and looked at the young girl with no name.