03| A Tail [ imagine ]

Yes, the title is a pun.

Mermaid AU!

Did I mention I love AU's?

(Also this is kinda long so I might split it into two parts.)

* * *

A man sat on the shore today, though it wasn't a surprise to you

A man sat on the shore today, though it wasn't a surprise to you. Men come to your lake almost all the time to admire the view. However they didn't know about your existence. All they knew about the Amity Lake was that it was perfect for picnics and watching the sunset. But they didn't know-and you made sure they didn't -that a mermaid resided in it.

You sat on your polished rock, observing the man from afar. You knew you were out and far from his view, since no one has ever spotted you here. He had reddish brown locks, and wore a brown vest over his white long sleeved button-up. A rather beaten up case sat beside him too. He was quite attractive, but you couldn't really confirm since you couldn't get a closer look. His head was bent on a book. Maybe he was reading? No, he was writing.

You found him slightly odd. Most men who came to your lake usually brought women with them. You've even seen them do... Rather inappropriate things. But usually, they had blankets with them for picnics. It wasn't like it bothered you. It was actually pretty adorable that they had dinner by candlelight. You just wished they took their litter with them.

You then saw the man shuffle, reaching into his case. He brought out a pen and resumed with his book, however now that you looked at, it was really a journal. He looked around the lake, maybe taking in the view. But you were wrong. He caught you with his gaze, making you jump in surprise. Did he see you? Could he see you? He gave you a sheepish smile and waved. Oh crap, he did see you.

You panicked. You jumped back into the water and accidentally let your tail splash around, possibly leaving ripples that could easily show where you were. You tried catching your breath, steadying your heartbeat too. You couldn't believe how reckless you were. "Stupid, stupid, stupid!"

You carefully swam up again, only peaking a part of your head so that you'd still stay hidden. But he was still there. Still writing, and still looking around the lake. Was he looking for you? You hoped not. But he looked beyond threatening. Infact, the smile he gave you sent butterflies in your stomach. Yes, you knew what butterflies were. You actually had an impressive amount of knowledge about the human world.

"Are you still there?" He suddenly spoke, making you hide yourself in surprise. "Please don't be frightend! I mean absolutely no harm!"

His voice sounded quite lovely. There was even a tone of innocence in it. Should you give it a shot? Should you risk your life for your chances of making a new friend? Would it be worth it? As of the moment, you felt like you had nothing to lose. You didn't know why, but at the moment, you felt somewhat... Daring.

"I need you to make a promise!" You said sternly, however you knew your voice sounded afraid. It was shaky and croaky at the same time. It made you wince.