2. The Millions of Shattered Pieces

Persephone had rose just before noon and rushed to gather her things for their trip to the Golden Gates. Aphrodite had already been up since dawn, preparing for her meeting. She wore a pale yellow dress that fell past her ankle, with flowers in her hair to match. Persephone looked down at her old green dress and ran to her room to change. She donned a pure white chiffon dress that met her knees, her chestnut shade hair fell just below her bust. She grabbed her flower basket before meeting them at the door. Demeter smiled, looking at her two beautiful daughter.
"Today is a momentous occasion." She said shutting the door behind her. Aphrodite practically skipped the whole way there. Her gold ringlets bounced with every move as her heart beat with excitement. Persephone, however, felt dread as they climbed the stairs to Olympus. It would be only her second time there and she was nervous of saying the wrong thing or doing something she shouldn't.

When they reached the gates, Zeus greeted them each with a warm embrace. His tall stature and white hair were enough to intimidate someone but Persephone knew his kind nature and hugged him tightly. He chuckled.
"Welcome home." He whispered and turned to Aphrodite who was patiently waiting for her spotlight. "Shall we go?" He smiled and led them to a grand ballroom filled with Gods and Goddesses waiting equally as patient. At the front of the room stood a man with deep orange hair. Ares, God of War. He exuded confidence and charm. Aphrodite slowly approached the man who took her hand and placed a gentle kiss upon it. A smirk formed on his lips when his eyes met Persephone. Her stomach twisted at his gaze and she backed away into the crowed.
"I suspect that these two have been waiting to hear these words, so I will not make them wait any longer." He took the hands of the two. "I deem thee betrothed." Zeus bellowed. His voice rang through Olympus, causing claps of thunder to sound down below on earth. Everyone cheered as the God of Gods first daughter was to be wed. Aphrodite led Ares through the crowd to meet her little sister. Persephone plastered a fake smile as the sister introduced her slimy fiancé.
"I am pleased to meet my sweet's lovely sister." He said taking her hand to kiss, but Persephone was smart and pulled her hand away to dodge the sign of affection.
"I do hope you make my sister happy." She said in her most polite tone. His smirk vanished, then he scoffed.
"I plan to." He said turning and leaving, dragging Aphrodite with him.

Persephone took a deep breath and resumed her walk through Olympus. She wondered how long again she would have to wait before coming back and she wanted to explore as much as she could. She started in the main hall which had pictures of Zeus and his brother, Poseidon, ruler of the oceans. When she came to the end of the hall she noticed an empty spot on the wall with shattered pieces of glass beneath it with a plaque that read "God of the Dead". She searched the hall once more to find a picture, but had no luck.
"You will not find it here." A familiar voice said. She froze, staring at the plaque until a cold, black hand was placed on the wall before her. "My brothers, they remove what they fear does not fit their expectations." She faced the man and met his deep blue eyes that were full of pain. "To Zeus, I am but a mere myth, a figment of ones imagination." She placed a hand upon his cheek.
"But you are real." She sighed with relief. The man smiled and began to lean closer to the young girl's face. She closed her eyes, inviting him in.
"Persephone, it is time for the dinner party." She opened to see no man and her mother standing idly at the end of the hall. "Come dear, your sister awaits." She followed her mother back to the grand ballroom and sunk in her assigned seat next to her new brother.
"Glad you decided to join the festivities." Ares said cockily. He placed a hand on her knee under the table but she flinched quick enough. Everyone laughed and congratulated Aphrodite and Ares as dinner progressed and Persephone was eager to return home.

Afterwards, Persephone found herself wandering back to the empty space in the main hall, hoping the man would be there, but he had vanished like the day she first saw him. Defeated, she went to the garden, that Demeter gave to Zeus for his birthday, and sat on the stone bench on the edge of Olympus, waiting to leave. Leaves began to rustle and orange hair emerged between the bushes.
"What do you want Ares." She said crossing her arms. He walked closer to her.
"Well your sister is quite the bore but you, you are different." He said trying to charm her.
"How flattering. But it is not your decision which of us you marry." She rose from her seat to retire from the conversation.
"Ah, but no one would need to know of our affair." She cringed as he grabbed her waist to lean in for a kiss. Luckily Aphrodite stopped them before he could.
"Persephone"! She yelled.
"Thank goodness dear sister he was-"
"How could you? On the day of my betrothal, you weasel your way in to ruin everything." Her eyes filled with tears.
"Aphrodite I-" Ares smiled and began to play along.
"My sweet, she forced herself upon me, speaking of adultery." He ran to Aphrodite's side.
"How dare you. I could have father placed you in lashing for this." Persephone's heart shattered into a million pieces. The sister she cherished and admired believed a con-artist over her own blood. Aphrodite rushed towards her and placed both hands on her shoulders with a smile. "I will never forgive you." A single tear fell from Persephone's eye as she began to fall from Olympus, for her dearest sister had shoved her off the clouds.