8. Six Seeds

The two walked towards the door but Persephone stopped before they reached the handle. She grabbed her husbands arm.
"Hades. I am hungry." She said. Hades smiled and produced a pomegranate.
"Are you sure this is what you want?" She hesitated at first, then looked him in the eyes and nodded.
"I have never been more sure." She took six seeds and then a deep breath and ate them. Her once tan skin grew pale and her bright eyes dimmed. She was finally full, finally immortal, and finally Hades'. When they exited the room, Hermes gasped.
"Persephone." He said. "Your mother awaits at the gate of the Underworld. She wishes to speak to you." She looked to Hades who nodded and went with them. They traveled to the river Styx and boarded Charons boat to sail to the gates of Earth where her mother would be waiting. Persephone, though she was now dead, still felt her heart race. She wasn't sure how her mother would feel. She was bound to the Underworld and there was no going back. Hades fell silent the whole way there. He felt uneasy about this journey and uneasy about being so close to the mortal realm for too long. They got off when the boat bobbed to the pier.

Demeter waited impatiently for her daughter. Aphrodite and Ares stood with her, hoping Hermes would fulfill his promise. The gate opened and Hermes approached and bowed. Persephone and Hades stood hand in hand, and Demeter felt rage grow within her. She rushed towards Hades and began to punch the air. He held his hand out and she stopped. Persephone stepped in front of him and hugged her mother tightly.
"Mother, please calm down." The girl said in her sweet voice. Demeter breathed out and hugged her back. Tears streamed down her face as she scowled at Hades. She grabbed her daughters face.
"Are you alright. He didn't hurt you, did he?" She asked. Persephone shook her head.
"No mother. I am fine. Hades is not who you think him to be. He is truly wonderful." Her mother took a step back and took a good look at her. She noticed her pale skin and dead eyes and sobbed.
"You have eaten the food. Persephone how could you?" Persephone bowed her head in shame but smiled.
"I can not leave him." She said. Claps of thunder sounded throughout the cold, dark land. Zeus finally left Olympus to fix this mess. Demeter stood shocked. Zeus had never come down to earth unless it was for a good reason.
"Brother." Hades said. "Have you come to tell the truth?" He asked.
"The only one needing the truth has learn it." He looked to his daughter. Persephone smiled and grasped Hades hand tightly. "I trust my letter reached you?" She nodded.
"Zeus. What is the meaning of this?" His wife asked. "What truth?"
"I had given Hades permission aeons ago. He wanted Persephone and I told him she had to choose. She chose, dear. Stop this winter." Demeter sobbed.
"No. She is my daughter. I will not let Death have her." Persephone approached her mother slowly.
"Mother, I love him." She finally said. Hades cold heart skipped a beat. He had longed to hear those words from her since he laid eyes on her.
"You will come home Persephone." Aphrodite said stepping forward. Persephone's brows furrowed and though she was now dead, her face grew red with anger.
"You have no right to order me. You are nothing to me." She screamed. Aphrodite bowed her head in sorrow at the hate of her sister. "I am staying with Hades, I will not return to Earth." She yelled, still holding her husbands hand. Demeter pulled a knife from her pocket and ran towards Hades, stabbing his left shoulder. Hades fell with a loud thump clutching the knife. Persephone kneeled down to stop the bleeding. Demeter laughed as everyone stood in shock. Her grief and rage had gone too far and she began to go mad. Zeus held her back from hurting anyone else.

Persephone held Hades in her arms as it began to snow.
"You will be alright." She said, tears pouring from her eyes. Hades smiled and placed a hand on her cheek.
"Persephone." He said. "I truly love you. I only ever thought of making you my Queen."
"Oh Hades, I know."