7. Torn Between Two Worlds

When morning came, Hades had prepared a fine meal for his wife. He placed the food on the bed and placed his hand on her head. Her eyes fluttered open as she breathed the scent of bread and butter.
"Good morning dear." He said. Persephone sat up slowly and smiled. When she looked at the food she began to panic. She had not eaten since her arrival in the Underworld, and she knew Hades would grow suspicious if she did not eat soon.
"I am not hungry." She smiled apologetically. Hades frowned.
"You have not eaten in months, you must be hungry." Her heart raced.
"I-"
"Is it because you wish to go home?" He cut her off to ask. Her leaving had been on his mind since Hermes visit. He worried that she wouldn't want him or his kingdom or his love, yet he had faith in her to stay and love him back. "You may leave whenever you wish." He said somberly. His eyes, full of pain, showed no lies. Persephone's heart was torn between two worlds she loved dearly and choosing earth or love was a decisions she couldn't decide.
"Hades. Do you love me?" She asked already knowing the answer.
"More than the stars in the night sky. You are the reason I live. Without you I will cease to be." He said taking her hands. She bowed her head.
"Than I will stay here, with you." She smiled. Hades eyes no longer held pain but a warm twinkle of happiness that showed Persephone how much he truly loved her.

Back on Earth, the land grew dark and cold over the six months Persephone was gone. A cold season was upon them and the creatures of the land hid and slept hoping Demeter would soon stop mourning. Aphrodite paced back and forth in her mothers kitchen praying Hermès would hurry.
"Aphrodite, dear, calm down." Ares said steadying his soon to be bride. She frowned.
"This is your fault, you slimey, conniving snake." She slapped his arm. Demeter, still sobbing, sat at her table, silent. Hermes entered regretfully,
"I'm sorry. She will not come back." Demeter rose from her seat and grabbed Hermès by the collar.
"Go back and force her to come. Force Hades to release her. I will be waiting at the entrance. Return with my daughter or not at all." She said as trees fell at the sound of her voice. Hermes shook and hobbled out of the house.
"Mother, she will come. I know it."

Hades led Persephone to the court to talk to Minos about the new souls and where they would be placed. It was finally up to Persephone to decide the fate of the dead. The first soul was an old man with a beard down to his knees. He hobbled towards her and bowed.
"What is my fate?" He asked. Those who died had to ask this question in order to be placed. Persephone looked to her husband in hopes he would help her but he waved his hand for her to decide.
"What was your crime?" The old man fidgeted in his place.
"I never married because the love of my life married another." He said. Persephone sighed.
"You shall reside in the mourning fields." She said, nodding at Minos. Next, a young man approached, dressed in armor.
"What is my fate?" He asked proudly. "I am a soldier of Poseidon. I lost my life in battle." He stated.
"Elysium." She said smiling. She looked back at Hades who nodded. The last soul was a woman who looked rather familiar to Persephone. Her pale skin and blonde hair glowed against the darkness of hell. She smiled and stepped forth.
"What is my fate?" She curtsied. Persephone eyed the girl until she reached a scar above her eyebrow.
"Despoina?" Persephone asked in disbelief. "What, happened?" Her half sister smiled.
"My father left Chyrabdis in the ocean. I might have accidentally crossed paths with it." She sighed and scratched the back of her head nervously. She paused. "Your mother froze the ocean Persephone. You have to go back." Persephone ignored her statement and looked to Minos.
"Elysium." Minos grabbed the girl and pulled her towards the gate.
"Please Persephone. Gaea will not last in this frozen state. She must be saved." Her voice rang in the courtroom. Hades took his wife's hand and smiled.
"You did a wonderful job. Everyone is happy." She sighed.

The two resided to their room to talk. Persephone began to feel as if her decision wasn't the right choice. The world she knew, Earth, and Gaea we're dying and she couldn't help but think of saving her old home. Hades noticed the conflict within her.
"My love. You may choose to save your world. I will not be angry by your decision." A tear fell from her eye.
"I can't leave you." She said. Just then, Minos knocked and announced Hermes. The couple looked at each other, knowing that this was the moment of truth. She had to make a final decision. Hades took her hand.
"It's time my love."