february 8th, 2029

"Seokmin?"

Letting out a soft noise of surprise, Seokmin adjusts his glasses and faces his husband. "Hm?"

"It's time to go."

Seokmin nods, smiling at his lover before standing. His desk is a mess. Letters he's written prior cover the area, ink stains dipping the corners of every other page, and a small mug of the coffee Seungkwan made for him sitting on the stool.

"I'll be out in a minute." Seungkwan nods at this, placing a quick kiss to Seokmin's forehead before exiting the office. The taller male smiles. He looks back down at his desk-- the collection of diaries and card-stock piling up alongside cabinet files and laminated documents.

He allows his hand to graze over a small, folded piece of paper. Seokmin sighs. noting that he was most likely getting late, the male grabs his coat, stuffing the note in his pocket and following his husband out.

- - -

It was chilly out, and standing in the middle of stone graves wasn't helping to ease the mood.

Seungcheol stands to his left. He hasn't changed much since their high school years. The eldest boy's hair has been neatly cut, and his schoolboy jock look has deteriorated. Not that either of them mind. It was probably for the better.

His husband, Seungkwan, isn't far away. He stands a bit to the right next to Jeonghan, the two silently conversing. They utter a bit more before the two of them look back down at the designated grave. The sides of it have chipped slightly.

A car pulls up. Out walk Joshua and Chan, with the addition of Wonwoo and Mingyu, exit the vehicle and start the path up a steep hill towards the others.

Jihoon and Soonyoung arrive later, Minghao and Junhui minutes after them.

And then, the group stops. All circled around the same grave, and all simply staring.

Seungkwan begins to cry.

Seokmin walks over, pulling the distraught boy into his arms, stroking his head softly. He notes that most of the others are on the brink of tears.

"What could we have done?" Jeonghan finally speaks up, snapping the silence.

Seungcheol shrugs weakly.

Minghao had leaned down next to the grave, retrieving a bouquet of flowers from his husband and setting it down upon the dirt. Jun whispers a few words to him, and they exchange solemn looks.

"There's so much we could have done," Seokmin breathes. The others look over at him. "We just...we didn't, and I don't know why."

Each member takes a minute to pay their respects individually, filing back into their cars with small talk.

Seungkwan moves as well. he apologizes for wetting Seokmin's shirt, but the taller boy disregards it.

Now only Seokmin stands there, peering down at the stone grave.

"I'll save you." He mumbles. "I'll keep you alive, even if I have to go. For Seungkwan."

And with that, Seokmin adjusts his jacket and follows his friends out of the gloomy graveyard.