Chapter 31

The next few days were hell. They consisted of multiple beatings and starvation. Just to keep me alive, I was given bread and water each morning. But only just enough for me not to die.

The beatings were worse. Sometimes it was only two guys hitting me. Other times it was seven, Declan would watch each time, as the blood poured out of me. He would sit, laughing at my pain. When it was over, he would always ask the same thing.

"Have you had enough yet?"

As he said it for what felt like the millionth time, I gritted my teeth and strained to keep my head up. "Not by a long shot babe."

He shook his head, tutting. "That's a real shame. I thought we were making progress. Well, we'll let you rest and then come back. Be ready."

He moved to the door but I called him back.

"Why don't you just unchain me? And we'll fight it out. Just you and me."

He smiled. "Oh darling, why would I do that when I can just get others to fight you. I don't like getting my hands dirty."

I smirked. "You're a coward."

He stormed forward and slapped me across my face. "A coward?" He turned to the men that had just finished beating me. "These beatings aren't working. I think we need a different approach. Get Shannon and tell her to bring it to me."

He then walked away. "I'll be back in two hours. And then you will break. Trust me."

I spat on the ground. "I doubt it."

He didn't reply, just leaving me in the dark. 

I lay there as the blood dripped out of me. I didn't let any tears fall, not that I could. I was too dehydrated for that. Every time I was left alone, I felt like pieces of me were being chipped away. Despite what I said to Declan, I knew it wouldn't be long before I cracked. My body could only take so much before I just gave up.

After that first day, I hadn't been able to use the mind-link. I was given antonine every six hours, like clockwork. I hadn't felt my wolf since then as well.

The concept of time was lost on me. I didn't really know how long I had been in here. I counted the beatings, in an attempt to keep track. But I was losing it. Damien was the only thing keeping me from giving up.

I didn't believe they would save me, but I needed to stay alive so he wouldn't feel the pain of my death. Everyday, I could feel the saddness and worry that he felt. I didn't know how, but the antonine didn't stop me from sensing his feelings. 

I had been struggling with healing. With my wolf so distant, I was healing slower than usual. The beatings weren't really helping matters either. I was just about healed when each new hit came.

When alone, I thought about the last few months. The most amazing months. I thought about dates me and Damien had had. Days out with Raven, buying music and going to Starbucks. Sitting and reading baby books with Lisa, trying to think up names. Training with James, competing with him.

I remembered as much as I could, going over memories and trying to remain sane. As each second passed, I felt like I was losing it.

I must have fallen asleep, because I felt myself being shaken awake. I opened my eyes to see Declan. He was smirking, and a female stood beside him. She was glaring at me.

Two men stepped forward and unchained my arms. But unlike usual, they didn't hold me back. They stood beside Declan. 

I felt shaky, as I stood there. My first thought was to attack, but I knew this was a trap. I froze, watching Declan. Slowly, I took a step forward.