[ 5 ]

FLAWLESS — The Neighbourhood

The blazing sun punctured my head as the night before took a toll on my senses. I hadn't had much to drink, yet I managed to suffer from a small hangover.

My feet touched the floor, a cold arising upon my skin causing goosebumps to plant themselves upon my body. I looked over at my window to see that noon was surfacing, anticipating the time to be around ten or eleven.

I grabbed my phone and immediately texted Benny, he had finally given me his number at the party in between his drinks.

"You feeling better?" I texted, checking in on how he was after his first attempt at a party. I was surprised as my phone vibrated alerting a quick text from him.

"My. Head. Is. Gonna. Blow. Off." He responded, causing laughter to erupt from me. I texted him a laughing emoji and advised him to take Tylenol and to stay hydrated. He obeyed my commands as he sent me a picture of a water bottle and container of Tylenol.

I went downstairs to find myself alone as I realized my mother had probably left to her first day of her new job, she had become a nurse. I found a note pasted on the island that stood in the centre of the kitchen, her neat cursive writing came into view as I grasped the note.

'Hey Lina,

Next time you're out, don't come home too late. I'm not gonna be easy on you, but this is a warning because I know you're stressed about the move and I'm pretty happy with you managing to find friends here. I'm off to work, call me in case of an emergency. Love you

- mom.'

My eyes scanned the note wearily, finishing it with a sigh. I groaned as I placed the note back to where it was originally found and made myself breakfast.

I ate by myself to the sounds escaping from the open window of my kitchen—Benny's distinct voice vibrating through the atmosphere from the house next door. I was surprised that he managed to get out of bed from his hangover.

"Dang, its hot outside," He said to someone.

"Yeah, I don't know about baseball today, man," Smalls' voice replied to his friend disappointedly.

An epiphany sparked through me as I realized I was home alone, the idea forcing me to call Benny.

"Hello?" His voice beamed from the other line.

"Hey Benny, I was uh—wondering if you and the sandlot guys wanna come over? My moms at work until tomorrow morning," I explained, my nerves punctured with ounces of nervousness.

He hesitated before answering, "of course, what time you want us there?"

I stared at the digital clock on the fireplace of my living room—eleven piercing my vision in bold letters.

"How about one o'clock?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'll gather the guys up and meet you there," His voice spoke in excitement.

"I'll see you, Rodriguez." I said, ending the call abruptly with a wide smirk plastered on my lips.

I wanted to introduce the sandlot boys to the newfound friends Benny and I had gotten aquatinted with at the party, so I texted Brandon and asked if he and his group wanted to join. I thought the event might lead Brandon to decline due to the sandlot boys attending, but I was utterly surprised when he sent me a text alerting his arrival.

I ran to my room and threw on a pair of black track pants that had a red line coating the side of my legs, a red tube top, and a distressed black jean jacket, pairing the outfit with a pair of white Nike shoes. I glanced at my appearance, an atrocious expression glued to my features due to my insecurities resurfacing.