[ 12 ]

TRUE COLOURS — The Weeknd

Two weeks ago was the last time I had seen Benny Rodriguez.

I spent the present portion of my summer divulging in books, watching scary movies, and listening to music. Boredom and loneliness consumed me each moment I spent away from everything, my only friend being my cigarettes.

To make matters worst, my mother could care less about me. She hadn't noticed my sudden displeasure at going out and didn't bother to check up on me. I only saw her when she came home to sleep and would go back to the hospital.

I was currently sprawled upon my bed; my torso outstretched in a weird angle, my head balanced lopsided upside down to gaze at the window, and rock music pouring into the atmosphere.

The faint buzzes of voices silently trailed into the room as background noise, my television displaying some creepy movie that I paid no interest to.

I wonder how Benny reacted when I begun ignoring him slowly—he stopped throwing rocks at my window around the end of the first week.

Had he forgotten me?

His failed attempts at trying to hang out with me still beamed a small hope inside me, but once the raven haired boy stopped trying I knew it was for the better.

My mind raced in memories as I rocked my hips to the music playing. The sound of guitar always eased my labyrinth of a mind.

The song halted to a stop when the vibration of my cell phone alerted me of a phone call. I paused the music, not bothering to look at the caller I.D.

"Elena!" the familiar voice exclaimed, "Where've you been?"

I sighed at Brandon's question as I answered him monotonously. "I uh—I've been busy."

"Busy my ass kid, we've been hanging around lover boy for the past two weeks and he's been so upset over your sudden disappearance," he snickered.

"Wait, you've been with Benny the entire time?"

"Yeah, he comes to our parties and has sorta became a permanent member to our group," Brandon clearified, "You could be too if you actually bother showing up."

I was baffled; the words too hard to believe as I began processing the newfound information.

"Lina," Brandon's voice tore me from my thoughts at the situation, "Come to a small party at mine tonight."

I hesitated. "I don't know if that's such a good idea, Brandon."

"Don't worry, it'll be fun," he said, "You'll be reunited with lover boy and you'll get some free booze."

"I'll let you know."

"Okay Lina, see you later." His voice sighed on the other line, disconnecting the call for me to gather my thoughts.

I was utterly confused at why Benny would continue hanging out with the older group of kids when I left for him to start getting back to the sandlot. This entire time I thought he was only hanging around them for me, but I seemed to be put into a different perspective.

I felt a sense of stupidity as I reviewed my reasoning for keeping myself locked up; I wasn't ruining Benny, I had already led him to ruin himself.

I couldn't allow him to do god knows what with those people when he was just an innocent kid that had fun playing baseball with his friends, spending time with his family, being happy.

I gathered my strength and swapped my pyjamas for a pair of denim jeans, a Rolling Stones t-shirt, and my red flannel. Running down stairs, I retrieved my PF flyers and called Brandon to pick me up to attend this party.