Chapter 15: Reminiscing

"Shit, I'm so sorry!" I blabbered. I looked up to see I had walked into a boy who had just been sat in my lecture. I had knocked him hard enough that he had split his coffee cup all over his black t-shirt. 

"That's alright," he said with a slightly irritated tone. "You're in my class aren't you?"

I was sat on our bedroom floor, flicking through my scrapbook and my box of sentimental stuff that I liked to keep hold of. I was looking at my student card from NYU, and reminiscing about how Gerard and I had first met.

"You didn't like me at first," I giggled, looking up at Gerard. He was sat cross-legged on our bed, drawing sketches for a comic book that he was working on while the band was taking some well-deserved time out to take care of all the babies and the marriages. Mikey and Alicia had finally worked out their differences and were due to get married the next day. I resented slightly the fact that they couldn't have had the wedding three weeks later, as I was 38 weeks pregnant and could not find a single nice outfit to wear for their wedding due to the fact that I was absolutely huge at this point. Nevertheless, all of the wedding talk and romance in the air had gotten me reminiscing about Gerard and I. 

"Hey!" he called. I turned around in the hallway to meet his gaze. "My band is playing at the bar next door to University Hall tomorrow night. If my stereotyping is accurate enough, you might be into it!"

"If I didn't like you at first, then why did I invite you to my gig?" Gerard smirked.

"Urm, I don't know, so you'd look more popular with a bigger crowd?" I teased.

"How do I know you liked me straight away?" he teased in return.

"Actually, I met a boy in my class yesterday," I said with a small giggle. "He wasn't in my class actually I was in the wrong class- but he invited me to watch his band play tonight!"

"Ooooh who was it?!" she gasped, sitting upright on my bed and bouncing up and down excitably.

"I don't know his name," I pouted. "But he was cute."

"Describe him!"

"He had messy black hair, green eyes, skinny, not too tall, but kinda tall-"

"Oh my god you're into Gerard!" she squealed.

"You could ask Holly," I replied. "I told her the day after I met you that I had a crush on you."

"Just imagine," Gerard said, putting down his sketchbook so that he could look at me intently. "If you had never gone into the wrong lecture room, we may never have met. I wonder what we would be doing now, if that had never happened?"

"I believe we would have met a different way," I smiled.

"Like, it was fate? We were destined to be together?"

"Kind of," I grinned. "I'm not too sure. Either that, or I'd be back in England dusting old History books while you get dragged around Jersey by your dominating butch wife Sophia."

He burst out laughing, falling onto his back and kicking his legs in the air like a child as he giggled at my comment.

"So what's in your little memory box?" he grinned, leaning over the edge of the bed to see what I was doing on the floor. "What are you remembering? Do you remember our first kiss?"

"This is the best gift I have ever received," he said. "Honestly Izzy, you are the best."

I smiled like a lunatic as he practically jumped on me to give me a hug. He jumped so hard that I fell backwards, which resulted in him being on top of me on the bed. I looked directly into his eyes for merely a second before he closed his eyes and kissed me passionately.

"How could I forget our first kiss?" I smiled. "It was Christmas day, you gave me an iPod, and I gave you this comic."

I picked up the comic and smiled, before Gerard snatched it with excitement.

"I haven't seen this in years! I didn't know where it went! I thought I lost it, you had it all this time?!" he shouted at about 100 miles an hour. He looked so happy that he had tears in his eyes.

"I remember everything," he admitted, closing the comic after examining it carefully. "Our first kiss, the first time we slept together, the first time I told you I loved you outside the library, our first fight the night before you had to go back to England, kissing you again after I had the car crash in Chicago...marrying you, losing Oliver..."

"Who is Oliver?" I asked with confusion.

Gerard took my hand and pulled me up onto the bed. He wrapped his arms around me from behind and held tightly onto my baby bump.

"Our first child," he said quietly. "I had a feeling that he would have been a boy."

"G," I whispered, turning around to face him and kissing the end of his nose softly. I had said his name but I wasn't entire surely what words to say. Every time I thought about the first pregnancy, I felt sick to my stomach. The worry of losing Holly had been prominent in my mind from the day I found out I as pregnant with her, all because of what happened all those years ago. Gerard and I rarely spoke about it.

"I constantly worry," he said, still in a quiet tone. "I worry that things won't go to plan, that something terrible could happen."

"Don't worry about that," I said, holding onto his hand tightly and kissing his cheek as he sat there, looking down at the bed as if we were avoiding looking directly at me. "I have a sort of, mother's instinct. I know things will be fine with Holly."

He looked up at me, and I noticed that a single tear had escaped and had left a shining line down his cheek. I wiped it away with my finger and kissed him one more time. 

"We had such a bad past, with a lot of drama," I continued. "But this time, everything is different. There's no drama- no car crashes,  no psychopathic ex-girlfriends of yours coming between us, no arguing, and definitely no losing babies."

He said no more words, but he held onto me tightly. We eventually laid down together and his grip on me never loosened, until we fell asleep entwined in each others bodies. If I could die in this moment, I'd die so happily.

***

"Okay, pregnant ladies followed by tiny ladies!" Frank called. He was stood on the driveway, holding the car door open. He let me waddle into the back seat of the car and Jamia followed straight after with Cherry and Lily. Gerard had gone to a meeting for potentially getting his comic book published and had insisted he would meet us at the church. We drove for fifteen minutes before arriving at the church, slightly later than everyone else due to the fact that Frank had to prepare two tiny babies and I was incapable of moving at any great speed due to my pregnancy. We walked into the church and sat down. Mikey was stood at the front, looking so handsome in his suit. He quickly ran over to me.

"Izzy, Alicia is gonna be here in like, five minutes! We can't postpone the wedding because there's one right after ours here, is Gerard gonna make it on time?!"

"I know he wouldn't miss this for anything," I reassured him. "I'll give him a quick call."

I took my phone from my bag and dialled Gerard's number but there was no answer. After three unanswered calls, I told Mikey the bad news and he nodded, signalling that he would start the wedding without his big brother. I was getting worried about Gerard; he wouldn't miss his brothers wedding for anything- where the hell is he?"

"Oh sweet Jesus," I said, all of a sudden in a complete state of horror.

"What is it?" Jamia asked.

"My waters have broken," I said in a state of panic. "I'm going into labour."