Chapter 18: Headache

"....G," I mumbled, rolling over in bed and trying to find him in the dark. I felt his warm, sleeping body and snuggled up close to him, breathing in his comforting, familiar scent and finding it hard to control the smile that spread across my sleepy face. "...G."

I nudged him gently, hoping that he would wake up, craving a kiss from him so badly. I felt his body move slowly as he woke up, and then soon felt his arms wrap around me, pulling me close so that my head rested on his chest.

"Izz," he mumbled, in the same sleepy, quiet voice that I had used to wake him. It was around 5.30 in the morning, and I could hear the birds waking up and chirping, singing their songs to alert the world that it was almost time to wake up. I felt his chest rising and falling as he breathed in and out, and in that moment I felt completely and utterly content. I could have stayed in this moment forever, letting him hold me, the world outside peaceful as everyone else was still in bed. However, the atmosphere was soon cut short by the sound of crying.

"Your turn," I giggled, placing a delicate kiss on his warm cheeks. He turned to me and his eyes finally opened, shining gorgeous hazel colours into my vision. He smiled his usual lop-sided smile, before scrunching his eyes shut and pouting at me in a playful manner.

"Good," he smiled. He slid out of bed, and I admired him stood there in just his boxers, his hair scruffy and incredibly cute. I instantly noticed that he had...morning excitement. He disappeared for no more than two minutes before coming back, the sounds of crying no longer rattling through the apartment. He slid back into bed and I came close to him again, desperate to be close to him at any possible opportunity.

"If we are quiet..." I whispered in his ear, but he instantly knew what I was about to suggest. He rolled me over onto my back and mounted me like a lion who had just found some prey. My pajamas were on the floor within seconds and Gerard was inside me, exactly where he should be. He kissed me so gently yet so passionately at the same time, and it felt like I finally understood why people called it "making love."

We eventually collapsed back down into the bed, and the feeling of his chest falling and rising was now a lot faster than it had been before.

"How are you even real?" he asked, causing me to laugh. "Seriously, you're perfect Isabel."

***

The routine in the Way household had changed a lot since we had brought Immy home. God damn it, I had told Gerard a thousand times not to use that nickname and now I was saying it myself. We spent 99% of our time changing, feeding and cuddling her, and that spare 1% was spent trying to sleep or...how we spent this particular morning... enjoying each others company. Sometimes we worked in shifts, where Gerard took complete control and I slept solidly for 12 hours, and sometimes I would take care of her whilst Gerard ran over to Frank's house to write music for the fifth My Chemical Romance album.

"Do you want to go over to Frankie's today?" I asked, bouncing Immy on my knee and admiring her eyes, which were completely identical to Gerard's in colour.

"No," he said, shaking his head. "I've got a terrible headache."

"You know, you've had terrible headaches for a while now," I responded as he sat down besides me. I placed Immy in his arms and watched him cradle our daughter. My heart made some weird, twinging style movements as I witnessed this gorgeous sight. "Do you it's because of Immy keeping us up all the time?"

"No, it's not that," he said. "It's a different kind of headache. It feels like something is pushing down on my brain or something. I don't know, I'll just take some aspirin and spend the day with my two most favourite girls in the world."

Gerard made breakfast and I fed and clothed Immy. Frank and Jamia had provided us with some of the cutest baby clothes in the world, courtesy of Cherry and Lily growing up fast enough that we could steal their old baby clothes. Today she was sporting a white onesie that had the pattern of dungarees on it, alongside some tiny, baby-sized bright red converse. As I cuddled her, she grabbed my finger with her hand. This was my all-time favourite thing, as I watched how her entire hand barely fit around a single one of my fingers, and it made me realize just how small and delicate she was. I couldn't believe that Gerard and I had actually created her.

After breakfast, we went to visit Frank and Jamia. Mikey and Alicia were also over, and Ray and his girlfriend were on their way over too. Once everyone was together and all of the babies were asleep in the next room, I began to feel so nostalgic.

"Do you remember when we were all sat around, waiting to hear how well Three Cheers had done in the first week of sales?" I said.

"Oh my God, I was terrified!" Ray exclaimed. "I had no idea it was going to be so huge."

Everyone agreed, but there was a strange sense of awkwardness and sadness in the air.

"I miss those days," Mikey said. "Except for all of the shit, like... Gerard's drinking and drugs, and Grandma dying, and Gerard having that car accident in Chicago..."

Everyone laughed at how dark but true it was. They were dark days, and none of us had any money or any clue what we were doing with our lives. Nonetheless, we all knew at the time that it was magical, and that something special would happen. I was sat in front of Gerard, his arms wrapped around me. He began to squeeze me tightly, resting his head on my shoulder and placing kisses on my cheek from behind.

"Sometimes I can't believe that you two made it," Frank said, nodding at Gerard and I. "All that shit with Sophia, and that New Year's Eve party when she turned up, and the time she used Gerard's phone to trick Izzy into meeting her so she could threaten her!"

He was laughing, and everyone else just looked slightly confused but entertained.

"That was pure, unprecedented levels of drama," Gerard grinned. "But it was all worth it for my new girl."

"Oh stop, you're gonna make me puke," Jamia said jokingly, before getting up to go and check on all of the babies. Everyone began their own conversations, allowing Gerard to whisper in my ear without anybody else hearing.

"I love you new girl," he said, so gently that it sent shivers down my spine. "Can we go home now?"

"Are you okay?" I asked, slightly disappointed as I wanted to stay and reminisce with the guys.

"I just still have that headache," he said. "I think I just want to lie down for a while."