Epilogue

[Dinah Jane]

I peeled my lips off of hers slowly. My grip on her throat loosening.

You could give up everything.

You could give up.

You could save her.

Jennifers voice echoed in my mind. I stood. The knife was on the table in front of Jennifers little protection center. She looked me in the eye. And I understood. If you loved someone, you had to let them chose.

I think she learned something that day as well. That you cant force love. And I learned sacrifices have to be made for love. And I could go back and time and relive all of this. It would be worth it. I waited and I felt a sharp pain my my stomach.

My blood poured from my wrist.

Flashes of Lauren shown before my eyes.

A little girl stood there.

A mane of wild brown hair.

A set of perfect green eyes.

Jennifer held the girl in her arms.

"How?"

"Miricals are possible Dinah Jane." Jennifer said. Her voice wasnt cruel. But soft. Pure.

"This is a dream."

"Reality is a dream."

"Raise her with care?"

"Always."

The events of what happened hurt. Giving the girl to Jennifer. Watching the with destroy the girls memories. Tests. Always tests. Not a dream. Not reality. Merely a world created in a laboratory. We were the tests for a new society. And it failed.

Our society is breaking. And we need a new world. A better world.

The first night back on our tour bus, after the long week that was the test, Lauren had a nightmare. A nightmare about reality.

In a way I was happy with the choice I made. I showed the professers that yes I would sacrifice everything. I had given up the little girl to Jennifer. Jennifer had called off the expierment. Explained to me and me alone that they would take away the girls memories of it. But leave mine. It was my world they put the girls through. A fantasy of mine where I loved Lauren.

Because I did.

And I hated to watch them suffer those memories of my world. I sacrificed a lot for love. Love that wasnt real.

But when I look at Lauren, sitting there on the grass looking at the ring I had given her, I know I love her. And I would give up the child. I would do anything to make sure the girls didnt remember that was real. That the expierment was a test for us. That everything happened but not in the way they think.

Because I promised her.

My promis to Lauren lies within the ring.

And it will remain there.

"Okay." Laurens voice travels across the stars.