Chapter Five

She had to stop walking eventually, teeth chattering in her skull and arms tired from the weight of her suitcases.

Completely drenched, she propped her bags against the wet park bench and fished her phone out of her pocket. Rain drops splattered against the screen so she huddled over, trying to shield it against the onslaught. It wouldn't do her any good if it had water damage.

Her fingers shook as she pressed her fingers against the device and brought it up to her ears.

"Please answer. Please, please, please." She whispered in desperation, watching the air in front of her lips turn white with condensation.

The line rang.

And rang.

And eventually a broken sob left her mouth as it connected to the answer machine.

Slipping the phone back into her pocket, she considered her options. 

She didn't have much money in the bank, but she supposed she could afford a hotel for one night. If she could just get through to the next day, she would go to college and let them know she was now homeless.

They'd... do something. 

She hoped. 

Though she hadn't yet broken free of her teenage years, by law she was an adult. Above the age where she could be put into foster care or shipped away. 

She supposed that wasn't a bad thing.

If she ended up in a homeless shelter then so be it.

At least then, she'd not have to sleep on the streets.

She knew that the smart thing to do would be to continue walking, find the nearest hotel and get out of the cold; but she was so tired, so mentally fragile and so hurt that she sat on the park bench instead, ignoring the awful sensation of wet denim, and stared into the distance.

The park was beautiful- spring flowers blooming in neatly planted lines and freshly cut grass that carried a distinct smell of nature and lawnmower oil. It was obviously well looked after, a prime example of the money local government was willing to spend on their public property.

Layla had been in this park plenty of times before. It held good memories of being pushed on the swings with her parents and sneaking out with her friends after curfew, running around and playing tag while the sizzling of a barbecue sounded out nearby.  

She wondered why she had never seen the giant sign by the entrance that read: Humans Only. 

Now she couldn't stop seeing it.

Her phone started to buzz against her leg and she whipped it to her ear, checking the caller I.D as she swiped it.

"Dale." A feeling of heightened awareness overtook her and she found herself sounding jittery, words coming out in a strangled croak.

"I'm sorry I missed your call," he said in a deep voice, clearing his throat like he was nervous. Layla could have sighed in relief when he spoke. Just hearing him had taken the lonely burden off her back. "Are you alright?"

She swallowed, wrapping her free arm around her body protectively. "My parents kicked me out of the house." Her voice cracked. "I don't know what to do."

She heard him take a deep breath. "Where are you?"

She rattled off the address, torn between crying and laughing when she realised he was going to come for her.

He was coming for her.

"I'm five minutes away. Hold on."

Layla stood from the bench and grabbed the handles of her suitcases before making her way out of the park. Her shoulders screamed in protest but she pushed past the pain until she was by the roadside, looking hopefully into the foggy distance.