Chapter Sixteen

Layla looked at the baby's room and smiled, "it looks a bit weird without a cot."

Dale struggled to hold her up and type out a text on his phone at the same time. 

"Not really. The cot looks better in our room anyway." He sounded distracted, eyebrows creasing as he looked down at his mobile screen.

He had been glued to the device all day.

She patted his head and he carried her back to the living room before depositing her gently on the couch.

"What's going on?" She asked him, rubbing a hand over his shoulder when he collapsed next to her.

"Just work stuff." He muttered, finally sending the text and slipping the mobile back into his pocket. "Don't get me wrong, I'm working with some great people, but they don't know how to take a break. I'm already looking forward to taking paternity leave."

Layla laughed at that. 

He'd just gotten the job earlier in the week and had waltzed around the apartment like provider of the year

They had both been elated by the news, primarily because it was the first time he was working in his area of specialty, finally able to put his engineering degree to good use. 

The city was treating him nicely.

Yet, he was already dreaming about taking a break.

She leaned back against the chair to stretch out the kink in her back when she was seized with a contraction, fire spreading across her lower stomach.

Dale freaked out. 

"Is he coming? Should I call the ambulance?"

Layla caught her breath and shook her head quickly. "No," she groaned. "I think that was just another braxton hick."

Dale didn't sound so sure and rubbed her head, pushing the hair away from the front of her eyes. "Are you certain? I feel like they've been happening a lot today."

She clutched her stomach again as she had another contraction, hissing through her teeth as it hit stronger than the last.

"You're starting to smell different." Dale leaned closer and sniffed, his voice trembling. "I think we should go to the hospital."

"But my-" As soon as she started to make the excuse, she felt an inward gush and froze. "My water just broke."

She thought Dale was going to lose his head when he reared back, but he didn't make a sound as he leaped toward the phone and called for the midwife.

Layla felt like she was watching the scene from above as her body went into autopilot. 

How far apart are the contractions?  

She could hear herself answering the question, getting the hospital bag and bundling into Dale's car. He was saying something during the journey, but she could barely concentrate on his words. 

She couldn't believe it was really happening.

She was about to have a baby.

Like a flashback, all the events of the prior forty weeks played through her mind. From finding out that she was pregnant, to moving in with Dale. Every early morning trip to the toilet, wracked with sickness, to the aches and pains and bloating and leaking.

All of it, leading up to this moment.

"You're not dilated enough. You might as well go home and wait it out a bit longer."