Ch. Nine

Ch. Nine

"Hey, woah, woah-" Lance laughed under his breath when Shiro had to grab Keith's arm and yank it behind his back when he'd tried to swing at a doctor who'd told them they would have to wait a few additional extra minutes to see their brother.

Chris was also smiling softly, eyes trained on Keith - though the boy pretended not to notice out of spite, instead grumbling to himself and plopping down onto the seat next to Oliver. The kid was almost as anxious as he was, and Keith watched his knee bounce for what had to be ten minutes before a doctor propped open the door with her hip and told the group to enter quietly.

Dom, who was sitting in the hospital bed with his knees drawn to his chest, barely had time to brace himself before both Keith and Oliver lunged. Suddenly it was just a tangle of limbs and groaning as the three teenagers were squeezed on a hospital bed meant to fit a child.

"You stress me out," Dom wheezed as Oliver moved to wrap his arms around his neck. Keith kissed his forehead before sitting back and blowing out a long breath of relief, Shiro standing on his other side and copying his actions.

"Hey, you loser, I'm-" Dom began to joke, but he stopped himself when Oliver drew in a long, shuddering breath, hiding his face in the crook of the younger boy's neck. Slowly, Dominic raised his arms to embrace him, smoothing down his hair as a relieved laugh washed over him. "Hey, I'm okay, dude. Don't cry - I'm fine."

"Never do that again," Oliver mumbled into his skin, and Shiro leaned over and kissed his forehead like Keith had. "Good to have you back, buddy."

"You guys are acting like I was in a coma or something," Dom grinned and tried to dodge Shiro's hands. Keith frowned at his words, unamused. "Okay, but who the fuck-"

"Language," his older brother corrected him softly, kneeling down next to Dom's bed. Keith rolled his eyes, adjusting his position. "I'm sorry, whom the fuck-"

"Keith," Shiro looked like he wanted to throw himself off of a bridge, to which Dominic only laughed, adjusting Oliver's position so the blond was more comfortably straddling him, arms still looped around his neck.

Keith ignored him, tapping Dom's shin. "Who the fuck gets hit by a fucking car in the middle of that empty-ass street at like five in the afternoon?"

"Me, apparently," his brother grimaced at his own joke, and Keith was going to punch him if he looked up and asked, "too soon?".

Sebastián, who had been standing next to Natalia, lifted his lips in a weak attempt at a smile, but Keith saw something flash through his eyes as he glanced down to Oliver again, who looked about ready to fall asleep in Dom's lap. He slowly raised his eyes to meet Keith's inquisitive gaze before tearing them away to watch Daniela, who said something to Lance in amusement before the boy laughed and gently shoved her back.

Shiro had opened his mouth next to Keith, a smile tugging at his lips, but he was cut off when the door swung open, revealing a woman with messy black hair to match with an iron-pressed suit and dark red lipstick, purse clutched in one hand as the other held the door open.

The four McClain siblings, who had been keeping their respectful distance towards the left of the bed halted their conversation when they noticed the stranger, prompting the three Kogane brothers to spot her arrival. Chris tensed in his spot, peeling off of the wall as he came to stand slightly behind Takashi, who stared ahead uncertainly. "...Ms. Kogane?"

The woman didn't respond, only stepped into the room and pushed past where Keith had been standing. The boy instantly straightened, pressing his lips into a thin line as his shoulders tensed instinctively.