1 | The Zoomer

「 baby, we were born with fire and gold in our eyes 

[ chapter one ] → the zoomer

     Maxine Mayfield banged on the door of the Hawkins Middle school AV room, hollering at her friends to let her in. 

     It wasn't fair, just because Mike hated her, he expected everyone else to as well, and when they didn't he would simply take them away from her.

     Why did he hate her so much?

     What had she ever done to him?

     Deciding that she was done with his bullshit, she scanned the area around her before spotting a bobby pin lying next to her skateboard. She grabbed it and bent it with her fingers so that it made a straight line. She then inserted it in door handle and started to wiggle it around, in an attempt to unlock the door.

     Finally she heard the click of the lock breaking. She hastily opened the door and barely had time to jump out of the way when she spotted a slimy creature wriggling it's way towards the open doorway. The boys all tumbled out of the room after it.

     "What was that?" she managed to choke out, as she watched the creature disappear around the corner.

     Mike turned around to glare at her, he huffed before responding, "Dart!"

     "What?" Max asked in disbelief, she had seen Dart just a few hours ago and he did not look like that.

     "You let him escape!" Mike shot back his voice holding an accusing tone, as he continued to glare at the girl standing in front of him.

     The girl only scoffed before pushing past him and marching down the corridor where she had last seen Dart.

     Max had been thoroughly searching the boys locker room looking for any signs of Dart when she heard the slight patter of footsteps causing her head to whip her head around, her eyes scanning the locker room. She suddenly realized that maybe coming in here by herself wasn't the best idea, especially since this was Hawkins, and god only knows how many fucked up things happened here.

     Max was silent for a couple seconds, intently listening for any noise, when she didn't hear anything she slowly turned back around and was about to continue searching for Dart when out of the corner of her eye she saw a figure jump out from behind the lockers holding something pointed at her.

     She whirled around fear starting to creep into her, she however left out a breath of relief when she who it was. Mike.

     "What the hell are you doing?"

     Mike huffed looking at her annoyance plastered on his face,

     "What are you doing? Why are you in here?"

     She looked at him before rolling her eyes, it was pretty obvious why she was there,

     "Looking for Dart."

     "This is the boys room."

     "Yeah so," Max replied, confused about why he was so annoyed.

     "So you should go home" Mike retorted, throwing the mop on the ground before he stormed out of the locker room, Max following closely on his heels.

     Max watched his retreating figure and had a sinking feeling in her stomach that if she didn't say anything to him now, she probably would never get the chance to again. So before she could even register what she was saying the words tumbled out of her mouth, "Why do you hate me so much?"