10 | Scandalous Mistakes

"We are problems that want to be solved, we are children that need to be loved." 

[ chapter ten ] scandalous mistakes

It was a Friday night, and the party - Max included, found themselves once again in Mike Wheeler's basement, invested in an intense game of D&D. Everyone was crowded around the small worn out wood table off to the side. However, Max sat on the sofa, across from them, watching them play. She had declined their offer to play, even when Lucas had begged her, mind too wrapped up in her thoughts, and the bizarre dreams she had been having.

The dreams weren't visions, instead, they where more like nightmares, about what could happen to her, to all of them. A tiny glimpse of what could possibly be her future, depending on the path she took.

It was only when Max felt someone tap her shoulder did she break away from her thoughts. She turned, expecting it to be Lucas or Dustin trying to get her to play with them, but was surprised to see that it was neither of them, but instead Eleven.

Max shifted a little allowing Eleven to sit down beside her. Max felt the awkwardness drifting through the air, she knew Eleven didn't particularly like her, so why was she sitting next to her?

It was silent for a few moments, the only noise being the boy's yells, and even that seemed faded.

Finally, Eleven spoke, "You're scared."

Max looked over at her in surprise, surely she didn't give her emotions away that easily.

"I'm not."

Eleven shook her head, "Friend's don't lie."

How could she read Max so easily? Since when were they friends?

Max let her shoulders fall, "I'm scared because I feel like something terrible is going to happen."

"The bad men."

"The bad men?" Max repeated, her mind processing what El was saying, she faintly remembered  Lucas telling her about how they had found Eleven. "The ones that took you?" 

Eleven once again nodded.

"What about them?" Max questioned.

El's gaze locked with Max's, and Max could see the fear yet determination in her eyes. El spoke in a hushed whisper,

"They're back."

Max opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out,

Had that been why the nightmares started once again, because the things that haunted her, the ones she was sure had been killed, were alive again? They had closed the upside down last year, but just because something was closed, didn't mean it could never be opened again.

Eleven stared at Max, "Don't tell yet."

"I won't," Max replied, her breathing slowly returning back to normal.

"Promise?"

"I promise." Max agreed, but even as she did so, she had the tugging feeling in her heart that it was already too late.

El nodded, before standing up heading back towards the boys. She paused midway, turning around to face the girl still sitting on the sofa,

"Come play."