The Grand Finale (Chapter 42)

Quote: "Do not be upset that the journey is over, as the next one is right around the corner."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Something wrong, Percy?" 

A man's voice rang out sternly, and I suddenly felt a surge of air enter my lungs as I jolted awake. I found myself sitting in a chair, in a classroom full of people my age, and I had just been singled out by the teacher.

"Percy...this is the last class of the day, and you choose now to fall asleep?" The teacher rolled his eyes as he seemed to not care very much, and he turned around to write something on a green chalkboard that was filled to the brim with a bunch of words and numbers.

Some people snickered in their seats.

I recognized that voice...and that face.

It was Chiron.

Why was he here?

Why was I here?

What happened?

I was alive...but I felt different. 

Very different.

It seemed as though I was in some sort of alternate universe or something. Is this what death looked like? Maybe I travelled back in time, or am I relapsing my entire life?  I was struggling to wrap my mind around where I was right now.

I noticed Chiron had legs...and he wasn't in a wheelchair like he had before, and he was in front of a ton of mortals...and I don't recognize any of them at all. They were definitely not demigods...and Chiron wasn't a centaur anymore.

My desk that I was occupying had a notebook with some written pages full of stuff I don't recall ever writing down. 

I even had a blue backpack laid out on the floor next to me by my legs, and I don't recognize ever owning one that looked like it in my entire life. It had my name labeled on the top, in a bright yellow color to contrast the deep blue color.

Something fishy was going on.

Chiron paid no attention to me, as I guess he was unaware of what I knew. He looked at me strangely when I woke up, but it seemed as though he was either being a really good actor, or he genuinely didn't know what I just went through. The fact that he wasn't a centaur continued to bother me a bit, as it almost seemed abnormal, which I thought was rather bizarre.

I remember thinking that his legs were weird in the first place, but now that he doesn't have them, I find it even more peculiar.

*DING*

The bell rang loudly in the hallway, and everyone suddenly stood up and grabbed their own bags and began packing up their papers and tools, with Chiron telling us all what we should do when we get home, but I wasn't really listening to be honest. The only part I heard about him talking was that it was time for everyone to go home.

I was in a bit of a daze, as I picked up my bag and did the same as everyone else and walked out the door.

The halls were full of green lockers, sunshine pouring into the crowded halls from the windows, and banners of school icons were pasted on the walls. There were tons of people walking monotonously like drones, everyone was just...automated.

It reminded me of when I was at Yancy Academy a lifetime ago...but this was very different.

The thought occurred to me that I might've just had a really bad dream or something...but that couldn't be it...