Chapter One - The Start of Mysteries

This is my very first time writing a story, if there's anything you thing is not good enough, comment and tell me!

Dedicated to my twin, xxcrimsonxshellxx, who constantly reminded me to upload for Light in Dawn xD I'd like to say thank you for you support, Ember~ ^_^

*****************************************************

"I've missed you, Taryn," the young girl murmured as she laid a handful of pink carnations atop the grave. The cool morning breeze had stolen away the warmth of her hands, so she felt little discomfort from the coldness of the gravestone. She touched it gently and traced the inscription with a finger.

There had never been much to look at, really, just three short lines – her name, and the two dates that marked the brevity of her presence in this world. Had it really been almost five years since the plane crash?

The sound of her soft sigh was almost inaudible. The girl raised her eyes and watched as it materialised as a swirl of mist, and disintegrating, as the relentless wind tore it out of shape. Five years had been far, far too long. She had grown used to staring at the cold stone while the memory of Taryn slowly waned away – the gentle, smiling woman who had given her a home.

Home. She whispered, listening to the lingering sound in the air. That word had really lost its meaning now, hadn't it?

At last the girl rose to her feet and stood still, taking time to regain control of her stiffened legs. She could just hear the faint roar of the bus at the end of the road. It was still two kilometres away, perhaps; if she started walking towards the station now, she should be able to arrive at school on time.

Sliding her silver-rimmed sunglasses in place, she heaved her bag over one shoulder and advanced towards the exit. It was then that she caught a sudden movement out of the corner of her eyes.

Strange; she was quite certain that no one had been in the cemetery when she arrived, and her ears ought to have picked up the sound of any new arrivals – she turned her head to investigate, only to catch a flash of periwinkle before the figure disappeared amidst the sea of tombstones in a distance. Somehow, the back of the woman seemed familiar. The girl's lips tightened into a thin line as she searched her memory for a match.

Miss Madison?

What could a teacher be doing in a cemetery so early in the morning of a school day?

She pondered for a moment and let the thought slide. Whatever it was, it shouldn't be her concern.

Grave-visitors rarely had happy tales to tell, after all.

~~

At school.

Gazing out of the windows, Andriana Crystal sat utterly still, deep in thought. She had straight, neat chocolate brown hair she left untied that revealed little glints of ice blue only at the end, milky white skin, and delicate features that were mostly blocked by silver framed sunglasses. She had never taken them off in public since her fourteenth birthday - not even indoors like she was now. No one knew why she wore those sunglasses except for herself. She emitted a unique smell of mint that was refreshing and chilling at the same time.

Andriana was easily the prettiest girl in class, but far from the most popular. There were reasons to it. She did not like talking much. She was cold. She displayed little emotions, constantly hiding herself behind a mask of indifference. There was something about her air that chilled anyone within two metres radius to the marrow.

"Andriana! You didn't leave home this morning till quarter to seven. How did you get to school this fast?" Josephina, one of the few people who weren't afraid of approaching Andriana, sneered, showing no effort to hide her contempt.