Chapter 12- The Return of the Messenger

Clary's mind raced as she ran down the hall with Alec. What do we do? Who was that? What do they want from us? As the two progressively got closer to Isabelle's room, Clary felt doubt seep into her thoughts. She began to think about all the possible wrong ways that the situation could go. She always trusted Isabelle like a sister, but what she had just witnessed she was unsure if she wanted to disclose to anybody in fear of retribution. Would Maryse trust me? Clary shook her head, in an attempt to rid her mind of the plaguing thoughts. However, they just kept coming.

Imagine, would they think you were lying? Or do you think that they'd think that you actually are a spy for Valentine? Clary violently shook her head. "No," she muttered to herself as they ran. Alec beginning to get ahead of her.

Eventually the thoughts were too much for her. "Alec! Wait!" she shouted at her fellow shadowhunter.

"What is it?" Alec asked, brushing his black hair out of his eyes. "Is everything okay?" He put his hands lightly on his hips as his eyebrows knit with concern.

"It's just...do you really think we should tell Izzy and Jace?"

Alec's jaw dropped in shock. "What do you mean? Of course we should! We have to tell them what we just saw! That guy came into the Institute undetected and took information on the two of us. Who knows what else he got on the entire shadowhunter community! We have to catch this guy and we certainly need help to do it!" Alec stepped closer to her.

"I know that, but....what if this is bigger than the Institute? What if this is something that will get others who don't need to be involved hurt! I don't want that Alec! If we tell Isabelle she may tell your mother and who know what happens then! We might not even be able to investigate this ourselves! Imagine what could happen! If we keep this to ourselves than maybe we have a chance to figure this out without any major problems arising. Please, Alec! Please!" Clary looked up at him, her green eyes imploring her emotions into his crystalline blue.

"What do you suggest we do, then? If you want to keep this to ourselves. What do you want to do then?" Alec stated calmly as he walked closer to Clary.

"I think we should investigate all that we saw. Whatever we know that we saw here. I don't think that its a good idea to go off talking about something that could divert our resources to somewhere where they don't need to be," Alec scratched the back of his neck, weighing the pros and cons in his mind.

"Okay. I get it. I understand. We don't tell anyone so that we can keep the forces where they are needed. I understand that. But one thing that I don't get is what could happen," Alec closed his eyes and curtly put his hands in front of him. Clary raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"If something goes wrong—while we investigate this issue with this guy and whatever he was looking for—and there's nobody to call if something goes south, we're done for. If we don't tell anyone, than we don't have any back up—no failsafe if something truly goes awry...." Alec opened his eyes again and looked directly at Clary, his blue eyes causing shivers to go down her spine. "I don't want you to get hurt. I don't want anyone to get hurt. I've always seen myself as the one to watch over when Jace and Izzy do something—to make sure that they don't get hurt. If this investigation goes wrong and you get hurt—I'd feel as though I'd fail not only myself and the Institute, but you as well..."

Clary eyes widened in concern and disbelief. He doesn't hate me. I always thought that he did. "Alec...."

Alec cleared his throat and looked at the floor, embarrassed by the eye contact. "Just know that if we go into this, we can't ask anyone for help. It'll just be us. No Jace. No Isabelle. No anybody. We figure this out—and anything that comes us with it. Are you sure that you want to do this?" Alec looked back up at her through his eyelashes.