Chapter 4 Shotguns and Stilettos

Cinder

"Where do you think you're going?"

I didn't pause as I zipped up my hoodie.

"I thought Chronos said you couldn't DJ again."

I looped my headphones around my neck before turning to face Doughal. "He can't tell me what to do, and neither can you."

"I'm not stopping you, I'm coming with you."

I laughed. "No you're not."

"Why's that funny?" He approached me.

"Because I have a Coven that has my back, I don't need you there."

"So you get angry when I leave you and when I want to be with you, you push me away."

"It's one night." I glanced out the window; it was early morning in Britain.

"I want you to be safe, plus, I haven't actually seen you DJ before." He stepped forward. "And, we could enjoy the time we have with each other." He placed his hands on my waist.

I tried to stare him down but it was no use. "Fine, but you need to blend in."

"Of course, there's nothing more inconspicuous than a cocky Irishman."

I flipped up the hood on my hoodie. "It'll be our first proper date."

Odessa

"I'm suffocating." Juliet tugged on the waist of her skirt.

"Well, I am loving the look." Tabitha undid all but one button of her shirt. She loved the waitress role-play.

"We need to focus, try to find anyone looking suspicious and make sure all of us are spread out."

"You know what you should do, tie your hair up high." Tabitha proposed.

"Cornrows don't work like that." I picked up a tray. "Chins up ladies." The three of us strutted out in our black stilettos, mini skirts and tight shirts. Club of the Eye was a bopping joint lit with orange and pink fluorescent lights, with private lounges, rooms upstairs and one of the most lively dance floors in all of Miami.

I served drinks that glowed a fluro green to people on the wall-to-wall couches while Juliet served near the dance floor and Tabitha took upstairs.

I spotted Leon in the crowd of dancers, putting his acting skills to work as he moved to the beat.

"Waitress!"

I turned at my calling and approached Morgan, each arm around a girl.

He smirked as I passed around drinks, winking before I left. In my eyes Leon and Morgan were enjoying themselves too much. As I circled around one of the couches Cinder took her place on the podium, her face hidden as the tempo dropped. I noticed a group of men and women sitting rather silently together. I strode over to them, plastered a smile and offered them some drinks.

"No thank you." One of the men declined for everyone.

I noticed he had a gun tucked into the waistband of his pants. I left before they could catch me looking.

"Hey."

I turned back around, my blood running cold.

"I'll take one." A woman with tanned skin and blood red lips plucked a glass from the tray.

I let out a breath as I left their booth behind. That was a close call.

I smoothed out my skirt, the signal for hunters.