Aquainted with a Druid

Song: Midnight by Coldplay

——————————————————

Slowly and full of daze, my eyes fluttered open. I looked to Wil beside me and felt relaxed, but tensed when I remembered where we were going and why. An entire new life was in front of me and it was thrilling.

"Morning," Wil whispered to me, sounding sleepy and rubbing his eyes.

"Hi," I whispered in reply.

The small biplane touched down and the our seats jolted. Because we didn't bring any bags, we just hopped out of the plane. The entire landscape was breathtaking, various earth tones blanketing the ground.

Wil led the way towards a shabby barn in order to get horses to ride to Arborlon. My eyes landed on a black, muscular mare and instantly fell in love. Wil chose a chestnut gelding with a white patch on his forehead.

The saddle and bridle that I chose had a matte black reptile skin fabric. Wil picked up the more basic brown saddle and bridle. After saddling up, we set off in the direction of Arborlon.

Upon arriving, the tall doors towered above us and I felt like an ant

Upon arriving, the tall doors towered above us and I felt like an ant. They slowly opened with a loud and slow creak, only to unveil a tan, broad man with dark features and a thin brunette girl with elf ears. Only now did I notice Wil's ears, probably because his hair was previously concealing them.

"Welcome to Arborlon, I'm Amberle," the girl spoke, "Follow me, Astraea."

I looked at her with wide eyes and reluctantly followed. She led me into a room containing the Ellcrys, an impossibly tall and exquisite tree covered with leaves of warm colors, instead of the normal forest green. Staring, I took in its beauty, it was the most majestic thing I'd ever seen.

I feel a presence behind me and spin around only to be met with deep, chocolate eyes

I feel a presence behind me and spin around only to be met with deep, chocolate eyes. My face began to heat up and I felt our connection when I began to realize that this man is the source of the voice I heard on the plane.

"I'm Allanon, the last Druid of Paranor," he spoke directly. I just stared at him, mouth agape, not knowing what to say. "I know everything must be confusing for you, but know that you have an important destiny that will have a grave impact on the four lands."

Wil spoke up, seeing that I was taken aback and in shock, "Allanon will inform you on everything you need to know while Amberle and I take care of something back at the palace." He shot Allanon a glare, as to warn him not to say too much too soon.

"O-Okay," I stuttered.

The door boomed shut behind them and Allanon walked to the Ellcrys. He placed his gloved hands on the trunk of the tree and rubbed gently, as if to soothe it.

"So, what is it that I need to know?" I asked, speaking clearly and being oddly comfortable around him.

He gave a small smile, "First you need to know that reincarnation is real and you're proof of it. You are the first reincarnation of the Greek Goddess Astraea who you were named after. Your mom and dad are not your actual parents. Your biological father is a long time friend of mine and ex-Druid named Cogline and your mother was the love of his life."

I stared at him, gulped, and gestured for him to continue.

"You and I share a bond, an extremely strong bond. Destiny has assigned us to each other, which means that we have an innate connection that gives us abilities. We can use these abilities to find each other, talk to each other telepathically, and other things that will emerge with time." He sounded tense, probably wondering if I was scared away from all the new information.

"Okay. So we are destined to be together?" I asked, unsure.

"Yes." He stated simply.

"Is there something else?" I questioned, his face looking concerned.

"The four lands are in peril and we need help. You are the reincarnation of a Greek Goddess, so you have power and magic in you. I can teach you how to use it."

He took a deep breath before continuing his speech.

"Will you join us to save and protect the four lands?" He asked quickly and I get the sense that I have no choice in the matter.

"Yes."