Sugar Glass

Credit: PublicDomainPictures / Pixabay.com

_____________________________________________________

"Turning back the pages of my sweet shattered dream, I wonder if she'll ever do the same

And if the thing that I call living is just being satisfied with knowing I've got no one to blame"

~Gordon Lightfoot~

_____________________________________________________

Swara woke with the memory of Sanskaar's kiss on her lips. He had tasted of coffee and chocolate, had smelled of a heady mix of cinnamon and sandalwood and had felt like cool welcome summer rain. She smiled softly – it had been a short kiss that had left her unable to think and yet today she could recall exactly how he tasted and the feel of him against her. She was awake but decided to stay in bed a little longer and dwell on the delicious thoughts of him that sent tingles through her and left her feeling warm and fuzzy.

When she finally made her way to the kitchen, she noted with surprise that the Dragon was already there and that she had not been alerted of the same, on further deliberation, Swara realized that for the first time in the five years that she had been there, the 'Ranjana' song had not registered on her. Slightly shaking her head at her obliviousness, she thought that it was quite a wonder as she set about her tasks for the day.

She quietly busied herself in her baking chores and was so engrossed that she was startled when she saw a shadow fall on her. She looked up to see the Dragon gazing at her, an intense look of thoughtfulness marking the normally impassive face. This alarmed Swara and she spluttered, "I....I am sorry, am I doing something wrong?"

Instead of answering, Mrs. Das laid her palm against Swara's forehead and shook her head in puzzlement, "You were humming while blending the batter, which is unusual considering that you have always worked in silence. You do not appear to be running a fever, child, so maybe it could just be a happy state of mind. So I guess there is nothing to worry about, go back to your work."

Her observation left Swara embarrassed and flustered, 'Sanskaar needs to be kicked, that I cannot stop thinking of him is bad enough, but to be caught humming by the Dragon.....I really need to control myself,' she thought as she furiously focused on completing her tasks. However, her mortification was far from over. As Mrs. Das left for her rooms after finishing the baking, she paused at the doorway and said, "You have a lovely voice, you really should sing often. And if it is due to the young man who is by far, too regular a visitor here, I guess some thanks to him are in order."

_________________________________________________________

The rest of the morning passed rather uneventfully and Swara's heart appeared to have settled to its regular beat and though Sanskaar did figure in her thoughts he did not appear in person, a fact which caused a range of contentious emotions. Initially, she was relieved as she was still not sure of being able to look at him without her treacherous heart betraying her. She was also a trifle apprehensive as to how it would be to face him. However, as the day progressed the apprehension turned to an annoyance which finally settled into anguish. By the end of the day, Swara had run through a very detailed litany of self-recriminations, which finally culminated in labeling herself as a wanton and desperate woman who could shamelessly throw herself at the first man who glanced at her. Her further self-debasement was halted by an arrival of a text message 'Sorry, held up in meetings. Have a very tight work schedule, might not be able to come tomorrow either. Miss you..'