one

one

~ Vanessa ~

I sigh with a smile, keeping my eyes tightly shut, away from the blinding daylight. Appreciating this huge comfortable bed which is now mine. My whole body jumps and my eyes shoot open when I hear the sound of something being placed on my bedside table.

I look up to see Nathan. His shiny fluffed up bed head hair, a perfect chestnut colour, shining in the morning sun. I direct my eyes over to my bedside desk, where a steaming mug of sweet tea is sitting. "Morning" His husky thick voice calls.

"Morning," I reply, making it sound more of a question. I slide my arms to my sides, pushing them against the duvet so I'm sitting up against the head of the bed. I lift up the mug, taking a small sip and closing my eyes to savour the sugary taste.

"Do you often make tea for your family in the morning?" I question, a small smirk tugging at my lips, taking another sip. He shrugs, "Sometimes."

"Well.. Thank you, I appreciate it" I flash him a grateful smile as I set my mug back down. "Oh and thought I'd let you know, Mum and Phil have some news so we all need to be ready and downstairs in the next fifteen minutes," He explains and I respond with a short nod. I watch as he leaves the room, closing the door behind him. Leaving me alone again.

As much as I would love to go back to bed, this must be important. I hop out of the bed, quickly making it up neatly and walking to the bathroom. I scrub my teeth with the minty Colgate blue, red and white toothpaste and I do my usual morning routine, getting dressed and heading downstairs to see Nathan and Jess already sitting there. I plop myself down beside them and just as I have gotten comfortable, Dad and Karen walk in.

"Thanks for getting up guys, we know its a bit early" Dad chuckles. "Anyway.. Me and Phil asked you all to come downstairs because we have decided, we are going on a romantic vacation away for a while. For some time to ourselves" Karen explains, lacing her hands with my Dad's.

"What?" We all shriek making the pair standing in front of us wince. "Sorry, but what's going to happen with us lot?" Nathan asks, his tone featuring confusion. "Well.. Jess we have called Toya's parents and they are happy to have you stay with them whilst we're away" Karen says making Jess squeal with excitement that she gets to spend a few weeks with her best friend. Lucky her.

"And Vanessa, Nathan. You will both be staying here" Dad adds with a smile. "What?" Both Nathan and I shriek together once again. "Dad, I moved in and met this family only yesterday. Now you're going away and we are going to be by ourselves" I huff in disbelief.

"Nathan will look after you. You are technically family now," Dad chuckles. Gosh he's speaking to me like I'm five. Well I'm not, I'm eighteen, an adult. I can take care of myself.

"I know its a bit short notice, but we are leaving tomorrow morning. And this is definitely happening, me and Phil deserve a break. We're sorry to have to leave you on your own, but this is what is happening and that's final" Karen explains before she leaves the room, pulling Dad with her.

"Yay! I get to stay with Toya" Jess squeals excitedly, skipping out of the room, leaving just me and Nathan alone. Once again. Oh just brilliant.

"So.." Nathan trails, tapping his fingers against his leg. "Guess its just you and me for the next couple of weeks."

"I guess so" I mumble back, feeling extremely uncomfortable now. To the fact that I barely know this guy who is now my 'Stepbrother' and we have to live together, just the two of us, home alone, no one else but us.

"We can have house parties and everything, it's gonna be mint!" He rambles on but I'm not really paying any attention to what he is saying. I just want the floor to suck me up. Take me away from all of this madness and awkwardness. It's too much.