Chapter 5

As the hot water rolled off my back, easing away the tension that had built up over that last few days, I couldn't be happier that Khal let me have the bedroom with the en-suite

As the hot water rolled off my back, easing away the tension that had built up over that last few days, I couldn't be happier that Khal let me have the bedroom with the en-suite. It was my only condition when we agreed to share an apartment. I needed to have my own bathroom. It was non-negotiable.

It made it harder to find an apartment within our budget but was totally worth forking out a little more than I'd initially intended. I could deal with living with Khal. I could even deal with living with Khal plus the unplanned roommate. But it would be a whole other shit storm having to share a bathroom with two guys. After the horrific experiences I've had with Khal when he'd visit in Seattle, there was no way I would be willing to comprise when it came to the bathroom situation. Nope, sharing with Khal would be enough to have me running, tail between my legs back to the familiarity of Seattle.

Drunk Khal after a night out couldn't aim. Just imagine my disgust at finding piss on the toilet seat and floor in the morning. The thought of it alone made me nauseous. He never put his dirty washing in the basket, used the same towel for an entire week, never cleaned up properly after he shaved and I was pretty sure he didn't know how to put a toothpaste cap back on. If Brody was anything like Khal then sharing a bathroom with the two of them would be the stuff of nightmares. Pleased that I had dodged a bullet, I stood under the downpour of hot water and I tried to suppress a yawn.

I'd barely been able to sleep last night and found myself tossing and turning, waking up every few hours to stare at the ceiling until I eventually dozed off again. Don't get me wrong, my bed was super comfortable. But I guess that in my sober state my subconscious finally caught up and realised we were in uncharted waters. Tread carefully Al, it kept reminding me. I knew there was no reason to jump at every shadow but tell my anxiety that. Obviously that little demon didn't get the memo. I'd give myself a week tops before I could sleep through the night. I just needed to turn this bedroom into my own little haven so it could feel like home. Right now, the walls were bare. It was literally a blank canvas waiting for me to get creative and turn it into a masterpiece. There was just one tiny bookshelf in the corner and it would not cut it. I still had a couple of unpacked boxes filled with books. More shelf space was needed desperately. I didn't mind splurging on a new bookshelf if it helped make this room feel more like my own.

When it became apparent that I wouldn't be dozing off again anytime soon, I decided that I might as well make the most of my early morning. Having spent most of Saturday on the couch nursing a hangover, I couldn't stop myself from feeling a little guilty. I hated being unproductive and was there was no way I was allowing this day go to waste. I still had the bare state of the kitchen to tackle and that would require a trip to the supermarket in order to stock up the pantry. I wasn't even sure we had plates and cutlery. I'd have to do a thorough check and a quick shopping list before I left for the market.

I could already see myself becoming mother-hen to Khal and Brody. While they might be able to live on toast and ramen noodles, I personally preferred a more balanced diet, one that had less carbs and more protein and veggies. And God knows when last these guys had a home-cooked meal. Maybe I'd throw together some dinner tonight.