Chapter 10

"I love listening to your stories," Shawn said, mindlessly. He looked exhausted. His eyes were red and he had dark circles under his eyes. He and Jess were sitting in a pair of seats away from everybody else and she had a grip on his arm that no one could pry off.

"I know," Jess said. "Ew, look, it's Kaitlyn. Ooh, but look who she's with. He's yummy looking," Jess said, turning Shawn's head towards Kit. Kit looked interested in Travis, like they were having a meaningful conversation. Shawn's head started pounding and his eyes began aching. Jess became nervous at Shawn's erratic behavior.

"What the hell," Shawn said, looking at Travis and Kit. Shawn stood up and walked over to Kit.

"Hey, Travis. Get lost," Shawn said, menacingly. Kit and Travis looked at him.

"Who the hell do you think you are, Boeman?" Travis asked, almost protectively. Shawn got in Travis's face.

"Noneya," Shawn said. Travis scoffed, thinking he knew what Shawn was going to say. "None of ya teeth are gonna be in your smug mouth if you don't get the hell out of here!" Shawn threatened and Travis looked Shawn up and down.

"You're not that big Shawn. You're not hurting her," Travis said, talking about Kit. That made Kit feel very uncomfortable.

"Oh yeah. How bout I tell her how you hurt Lizzy Smart. She still follows you around and you stepped on her yesterday," Shawn said. Travis scowled at Shawn but then left, without looking at Kit. Shawn sat down next to Kit.

There was a moment of silence and Kit felt anger. She thought it wasn't fair how Shawn flip-flopped like that. One minute, he tries to kill her and the next, acts like he'd kill for her. But Shawn wouldn't have done that if he didn't want to. Kit felt lightness to her shoulders, the hopefulness of a good answer.

"What are you thinking about right now?" Kit asked, curiously. She thought maybe the spell hadn't worn off and she'd be stuck with a drooling, love-sick Shawn. He grabbed Kit's hand that was resting on her thigh. She looked down at their hands, then met his eyes.

"You are the only thing in the world I can think about right now," Shawn said and Kit smiled, feeling relief. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "Have you been crying?"

Kit looked down. She touched her eyes and hid her face. Shawn pulled Kit towards him and she rested her head on his chest. Jessica walked over and Shawn and Kit both just stared at her. Jess sat down next to Shawn.

"Did you miss me while I was gone?" she asked and giggled. Shawn looked at her.

"Mmm, no. Not really, Jessica," Shawn said, making a point to say her full name. He was so straightforward, it made her jaw dropped. Kit almost laughed.

"Well fine! Here's a bombshell for you," she paused, "I'm bi now." The only thing she was, was easy. Shawn looked at Kit and smirked, looking unconvinced.

"And when did you discover this?" Kit asked, sitting up. Those were the first words Kit had exchanged with her.

"Well, when I met Lee it never really clicked. Now, I've realized that I'm bi! He made me realize how gay I was! So now, I'm in love with him!" she said, cocking her head to the side, like she had proven something. Shawn's eye widened.

"But he has-" Kit covered Shawn's mouth with her hand.

"What he was going to say was that he has a crush on you too," Kit said, letting go of Shawn. "Look! There's Lee! Go talk to Lee!" Kit said, pointing to the corner. Jess skipped off to where Lee was brooding.

"What the hell are you doing?" Shawn asked Kit.

"She needs to be taught a lesson. Don't worry, I'm going to tell Lee," Kit said and he sighed. "Don't worry 'bout it!" Kit scoffed.

"This isn't right Kit, she hasn't done anything wrong," Shawn said, furrowing his brow. There was a silence while Kit thought about whether she was going to tell him what she did to him.

"Well, she did put a spell on you that turned you into a drooling idiot," Kit said, casually and Shawn's face fell neutral. Kit sit up and a little smirk began to stretch across his face.

"Nice try, Kit, but you aren't fooling me," Shawn said, giggling and Kit shook her head.

She walked over to Lee once Jessica walked away.

"What is that bitch about?" Lee asked and Kit laughed nervously.

"I'm trying to teach Jess a lesson. All you have to do is not tell her you're gay with Will and it'll be golden. So what do you think?"

Lee wrinkled his face in anger.

"Question: do I have to?" Lee asked, and Kit nodded. Lee inhaled deeply and exhaled with a controlled shriek.

"Good," she said.

They heard the bell ring to go to their next class; Study hall. A study was like chorus but they had to be quiet and actually do work. Lucky for Kit, Mr. Yang held the study.

"Welcome, now sit down and shut up," Mr. Yang said and sat down in his chair. Kit looked over to see Jessica sitting really close to Lee; uncomfortably close. She trailed a finger up Lee's thigh. He smacked her hand hard and Yang looked up from his computer. Kit looked down at her book.

She had been reading Doll Bones since she was in Salem. It was about these three friends and a creepy doll. She had never finished it and it was always really good. Kit heard another slap and looked up.

"Save it for the bedroom, please," Mr. Yang said, forgetting he was in a class full of children. Either that, or he just didn't care. Regardless, what Mr. Yang had said made Lee snap.

"I'M GAY!" Lee yelled and ran, diving into Will's arms. "Save me, goddamn it!" Will wrapped his arms around Lee.

"I wish Will would hold me like that," Jess said and Lee glared up at her. Lee escaped from Will's grasp and walked over to Jessica. He wound his hand back and slapped a tooth out of her face.

"That's MY MAN, HOE!" Kit looked over to see Mr. Yang leaning back in his chair, almost in tears, laughing. Kit ran over to Lee, attempting to hold him back. Mr. Yang stopped laughing.

"Connors. Office. Now." Kit sighed and walked out of the room.