Chapter 1

CARTER's

I got to the shooting range and walked over propping myself in one of the windows. I grabbed the gun and eyed it closely. It was an all black Baby Desert Eagle ll 40. I pulled the barril, loaded the amo and practiced my stance holding it by the hand grip. I grabbed the noise-cancelling head phones and put them over my ears, and covered my eyes with the orange see-through glasses, for eye protection and took the safety off.

Looking across my field of vision I saw targets. Moving robotic men with circles in their head as projectiles. Thats the place to hit. The robots started to shuffle, move and pop out randomly on the open space.

I stared down them down.
Narrowed my eyes and tried focusing.
I leveled my breathing and calmed my pulse.

I gripped the trigger hard. Steady.
I inhaled and exhaled slowly. Letting my tense shoulders relax.

And Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam!

Never missed a bullet.

"Nice shot Carter." I heard a feminine voice say.

I backed away from the window and propped the gun to point at the floor, and slipped the head phones off my ears, letting them rest around my neck.

I smirked when I saw exactly who I expected to see.  Silvia. She wore her usual ACU uniform pants, with her under shirt that just happen to be a really- really tight fitting tank top, that hugged her chest in a very flattering way.

"Miller, what a great surprise." I smiled.

"The great surprise is waiting for you," she said sarcastically, now in front of me gripping my shoulder. "Captain wants you in his office in 2 minutes tops, I'd hurry ."

Hearing the Captain's mention I frowned.

Why would Holmes want me in his office?

But I didn't have time to think of possible answers to my questions, I just went passed Silvia and ran to the Captains. Before I got fully past her and slapped her bum, making her jump.

"Heyyy..."She said in between giggles.
I turned back and ran backwards and winked.

I pushed the door open and
doubled-timed to the Captain's office.

While jogging I saw the usual, an open field with nothing but trees on them. That forest was used by Gate 2 for procedure drills.

Our base was located in Fort Jackson; Colombia,South Carolina. Our layout was pretty simple. The base was divided into 4 gates.

Gate 1: recruiters
Gate 2: BCT
Gate 3: Reserves
Gate 4: Active Duty

I was part of the Reserves, I had already spent about five years in the military and was serving 2 years of reserved duty.

I double-timed until I reached the offices and looked at my reflection in the glass of the building. I took a couple of seconds to adjust my uniform before entering the 'HQ'. 

I opened the door and walked down a narrow hallway. At the end was an opening with no door, Holme's office.

I entered the room to see no other than Captain Holmes waiting on me. His posture was straight as always. He looked serious- too much for my liking. He had grey hairs framing on the edges of his face were his hair line started. His arms were resting over the desk, fingers intertwined.

I walked straight and didn't make eye contact, once I came to a halt in front of the desk I saluted.

The Captain stood up saluted and said, "At ease, soldier." With that I took a seat and made eye contact with him.