Chapter 12

Ava's POV:

I had a sudden urge to run after him and make sure he was okay, but I knew it wasn't my business or place. Instead I stood there as the older man, who seemed to be a captain, continued up to the guy Carter was just about to punch and took him away.

I turned to see everyone else already back to their routines, fully unbothered by the situation that just took place. Everyone but one person, Silvia, who still watched as Carter's figure got smaller and smaller until he was out of view, with a sickening grin.

That woman is such a-

The thought got caught in my inner brain when she out-of-nowhere glanced at me as if sizing me up. Harper noticed the gesture and took my arm to take us back to the bunkers. By the time we got back Laura was already awake, sitting in her bed, her hair still disheveled.

She was half-stretched and yawing when we came in and her eyes gawked out. "What the hell did you do to her?" Laura asked looking at Harper for answers. Harper raised a brow walking towards the bed and reaching for her already-folded ready to go uniform that she had apparently left prepped. "What do you mean?"

Laura stood up, and it was then we realized she was only wearing a set of matching underwear to sleep. She reached me in two steps and cupped my face. Her hands felt cold to the touch. "She looks like she ran a 5k!"

"Couldnt be far from opposite. She just did some stretches and then we left because something happened at the gym." Harper answered grabbing what seemed like a bathing kit from her luggage and walking towards the bathroom.

I shrugged as Laura still looked at me concerned. "Im okay but you should probably get dressed though. I heard they do regular bunker inspections." A second is yet to pass since the sentence leaves my mouth when the door knob twist opens in a single movement and Carter stands in the doorway with a clip board between his rib and arm, tucked under his bicep.

No one moves. I assess the space between them as they both blink twice none of them phased. Carter's gaze doesn't falter or wander, they just peer forward. Laura remains still, not exactly intimidated with his presence but more unsure as to what to do. Harper who was already in the bathroom senses the silence and pulls the door open. She quickly drops her things and stands in front of her bunk in attention.

"Hernandez, in uniform now." Carter orders. Laura who I didn't notice was still holding on to my face, lets go and rushes towards her bag and throws on the first outfit she can find. I quickly mimic Harper and snap into attention in front of my bed. From my peripheral vision I can make out the bright orange shirt and hot pink pajama pants Laura threw on.

Carter lacks any type of emotion as he makes his way towards us, clip board in hand. Laura manages to get to her bunk, her hair still a mess as she stands at attention.

A long two minute pass as he inspects Harper. I swear the longest two minutes of my life. My legs begin to feel tired and my stance falters but immediately snap to a sharp form when I sense his body point toward me and begin to approach. I suddenly become self conscious of everything.

How the clothes I'm wearing are all baggy and clearly not my size. How my hair is probably still up in a messy bun , strands poking out like spikes on a cactus. His heavy footsteps stop in front of me and I fight the urge to meet his gaze. I stare straight at his chest. The olive green shirt fits him nicely, around his neck he wore a dog tag, both of them turned to my view so I couldn't make out what they said.