Chapter 29: Leaving Veilstone City

[Chris' POV]

I face Riley. He runs forward and surrounds his fist with his Aura. He punches, but I hold my hand out, creating a barrier. He hits the barrier. Cracks start to form. I see a vision of his movements. I step to the side as soon as he breaks through. I karate chop at him. He rolls forward and flings an Aura Sphere at me. I create my own in two hands and hold it out. His collides with mine. I grunt under the pressure. I feel my feet sliding into the dirt. Riley keeps his guard up. I growl and step forward. I lunge forward and push. Riley creates a barrier, blocking the combined Aura Spheres. He smiles. "That's enough for now."

I just realize. I feel my forehead. It's covered in sweat. "You're getting a hang of it, Chris."

I catch my breath. "Still not enough to beat Cyrus."

"Enough?"

"Don't we gain Aura when we train?"

Riley chuckles, shaking his head. "Think of it like training your muscles. You don't gain any Aura through training, you just make the same amount stronger. The only difference between Aura users are the amount of Aura they have. Take you and me for example. You have more Aura than me, but I've been training my Aura throughout my life so far."

"How old are you?"

"Seventeen."

"Really?!"

He nods. "Yeah. My Aura revealed itself when I was five. I've trained since then."

I sigh. "Of course mine reveals itself recently. If not, I may have stood a chance against Cyrus."

"You also would've been training since you were young. I doubt you would have fallen in love with Dawn if it had revealed itself when you were little."

I get up. "So, should we continue on our way?"

Barry stands up. "Finally!"

Dawn giggles. "Barry. As impatient as always."

Barry stretches. "By the way, Chris. I want to battle you again soon."

"You sure you'll win against Eve, Riolu, and Empoleon?"

"Probably not, but Rotom and Luxio for sure."

I withdrew Luxio in place of Uxie. "I've been training them, too. Rotom won't go down as easily."

Rotom darts next to me. He nods and uses Charge. Barry smiles. "I'm glad you're fine Rotom."

I look at Luxio, who's sitting next to me. "It's been a while. I've missed you."

Luxio nods. "Lux."

I smile. Riolu rides on his back, sleeping. Eve is lying in the grass, waiting patiently to get moving. Roark looks at his watch. "We might want to get going. It's only a little while until sun down."

Riley steps forward. "Let's go."

We follow Riley down the road towards Pastoria City. It'll take about two weeks to get there from Veilstone City.

[Cyrus' POV]

I sit in Charon's lab. He's out collecting data about Dialga and Palkia. I look at Mesprit, who looks back at me. "I'm sorry," I say.

"It's okay. I never really thought you weren't evil."

"I hurt Chris. That's his name right?"

She nods. "He's a gifted young man."

I sigh. "I'm afraid of Charon."

"Me, too."

We are silent for a couple minutes. I hear the door open. I see Saturn walk in. "Oh. Am I intruding?"

I shake my head. "Not at all."

He gives me a questioning look. I nod to Mesprit. "Can you establish a psychic link between the two of us?"

"Maybe."

I shake my head and zip my lips to Saturn. "I've given you both a psychic link," Mesprit says.

"What is it Saturn?"

"I've found a few grunts willing to help. A few close friends of mine."

"Good. We'll need all the help we can get. I want to free them when Chris and his friends attack the headquarters."

Saturn smiles. "A distraction. Clever."

My eyes drift to the security cameras. "We better leave. He's back early."

"By the way," Mesprit says. "I can only establish a psychic link between you when you are near me."

"That's fine. When Charon heads out for research, we'll meet in here to discuss our plan to get you out of here."

"Why can't you just release me right now?"

"Charon will literally kill me once he gets the alert. We have to wait until another alert is going on so he won't know that you three are gone. I saw the remote on his person when he left."

"Does it have a range?"

"Knowing him, no."

"Cyrus, let's go."

I get up. "I'll be seeing you, Mesprit."

"Stay safe."

"Hang in there for a few more months. Surely Charon will speed up his progress."

Saturn and I leave the lab and take our separate ways.

[Chris' POV; One Week Later]

Dawn and I get into the sleeping bag and lie down. Dawn wraps her arms around me and kisses me softly. I pull a blanket over us and stare into her eyes. We both smile. Dawn lies on her back and sighs. "A lot has been on my mind."

"What is it?"

"If Cyrus has taken the Lake Trio, why hasn't he already destroyed the world?"

"I don't think they are what he truly needs. Think about it. He wants a universe that he's the god of. He needs the Pokémon of Time and the Pokémon of Space."

"Dialga and Palkia..."

I nod. "If what we've been told is correct, he's after them. Maybe he needs the Lake Trio to draw them forth."

"I don't know."

She closes her eyes. "I miss Mesprit."

"I miss Uxie."

"Chris, hold me."

I wrap my left arm around her and pull her closer. She snuggles up against me and closes her eyes. "Good night."

"Good night."