7

My mind wandered to thoughts of my family. Rachel was probably having a great day in New York City at her new internship. I pictured her hailing a taxi cab, walking along Madison Avenue, or strolling around Central Park. She was probably taking tons of photos on her cell to send to our parents or me. My cell. It had been in my backpack and was now probably turned off so it's location couldn't be traced. My parents were in Asia. I didn't even know what time it was there. I knew my dad would be busy working. My mom had done tons of research before they'd left, creating a list of things she wanted to do and places to visit. They were both probably having an amazing time, which I was thankful for. They deserved to have a vacation together, having fun creating memories before returning home.

I had no idea what would happen once their vacation was over. They were planning on going to the airport to pick me up. We had agreed to meet at the Baggage Claim area. This was our usual routine every summer.

How long would they wait before questioning if they were at the wrong one? I pictured them splitting up in the airport, my mom staying put at one while my dad ran to see if I was at another baggage claim. He wouldn't find me. He'd go back to my mom, only to see she hadn't found me either. They'd ask random passengers which flight they had been on to make sure they had all the correct information. Check the flight number and arrival time. If they called my cell, it would be off, but my mom would assume my battery died and shrug it off.

Finally they'll find out I hadn't boarded the plane at all. Panic would set in. They'd call airport security and then the police. How many of the other passengers walking through the airport to pick up their loved ones would overhear the panic in my parents' voices?
I wondered if the website for Camp Firestone was still in existence. They would call Rachel to see if she'd heard from me, and that would send Rachel into a panic. She'd fly home, even if my parents told her not to.

I didn't want to picture my family in such distress. All because of me. I couldn't believe I had been so stupid. And I wasn't a stupid, careless person! I got good grades in school. My mom used to brag all the time about what a smart baby I was. They'd probably all assume if I was kidnapped, I'd been taken against my will. I felt the most ashamed over the fact that I had willingly gone off with Dean, getting into his truck like it was no big deal. And yet, that's exactly the moment I had sealed my fate.

I guessed the airport security tape footage would show me following Dean out of Baggage Claim and jumping right into his truck. If I saw that on the news, I'd shake my head and probably think That girl deserved to get kidnapped! But now I knew that no one deserves to get kidnapped or anything close. Kidnapping isn't always kicking and screaming while the bad guy throws you into his trunk and speeds away.

I looked at Cal. She was my age and like me, she boarded a plane to a camp that didn't exist, and had allowed herself to get kidnapped, too. We all had. Grant seemed intelligent and street smart, and yet here he was, too. We were all old enough to know better, so why hadn't we?

My heart sank as I thought of my mom and dad. They'd be inundated with questions, police at our house. Did I run away? Did I do drugs? What grades did I get in school? Any enemies? Our neighbors would get scared and probably fear their own kids would get kidnapped. My friends would be questioned. They'd definitely ask if I had a boyfriend. I knew that from the crime show Rachel and I watched. They always thought missing teens either ran away or took off with some guy. I knew it was dumb, but I hated that my friends would all tell them I didn't have a boyfriend.

Maddie.

I sighed loudly, deep in thought. My best friend, Maddie, would be questioned for sure. Knowing her, she'd be a nervous wreck and would offer to help in any way she could, including answer all of their questions. Including whether I have a boyfriend or not.

Maddie, don't tell them!

I sent Maddie a mental message with all my energy I could muster.

Maddie, don't tell them that I have a major crush on Connor Landon!

I'd known Connor Landon since middle school and developed a crush almost instantly. Connor, on the other hand, had no idea that I existed. He was captain of our high school football team, got straight A's, and had a smile that could stop traffic. He was funny and smart and perfect. If Maddie confesses my love for him, they'll question him, won't they?

Oh, please, no.

In my mind, they asked him questions while he wore his football uniform, and when they said my name, I pictured him responding, "Ryleigh Bennett? Who's that? I don't know her."

My mom would have to provide a photo of me for the police.

You know which photo she'll use.

Last year, our school photos were taken on a day that also happened to be the day I developed the worst flu I had ever had in my life. I'd felt fine in the morning when I arrived at school. But then, right before we took pictures, I started to get queasy. I tried to deny it, then fight it, before finally accepting I was really sick. I vomited in the restroom and started to sweat from a high fever. For some reason, in my delirium, I still went and had my photo taken. I think my high fever caused me to not think straight. I honestly do.

Regardless, it was the most horrendous photo of anyone. Ever.

No doubt my mom would grab the yearbook. She'd show them my photo.

Don't they show your photo on the news if you're missing?

They'd show it to Connor when he says he doesn't know who I am. Would they interview him on the news? Oh, please no.

If they show him that disgusting photo of me and put it on the news for everyone to see?
Then I hope I never return home. I'd actually rather live the rest of my life in the dungeon basement of the cabin.