35

"Wait...what?" Grant asked loudly. "Aaron? He's not a mole. We rescued him, remember? We saw Dean beat him on camera!"

Will's eyes narrowed. "Not really. We saw Dean beat something. But we didn't see if it was Aaron. Whoever, or whatever, Dean was hitting with his belt was off camera. None of us saw Aaron actually getting hit."

I thought about what he was saying. As strange as his theory was, I had to admit he was right about Dean hitting Aaron. We hadn't actually seen Dean's belt come into contact with Aaron.

"When we found Aaron," I said. "Did he look beaten up? I couldn't tell. It was so dark outside. Or did he seem hurt or bruised?"

Grant shook his head. "Now that I think about it? No, not really. I don't know."

It didn't make any sense, but nothing about this entire island did. If Aaron was some kind of snitch and was against our group, whose group was he a part of?

The fire had gone out completely by that point. My head was spinning. I didn't want to believe Will's theory, but the longer I thought about it, the more it actually made sense. I rubbed my temples and closed my eyes.

Since it was dark and we had found each other again, the four of us decided to stay put for the night. I wasn't sure if Grant would want to keep our sleeping arrangement now that Will and Beth were there. I actually felt a little disappointed at the thought of not sleeping next to him again, and then scolded myself for the thought. He'd probably want Beth and I to sleep next to one another so the guys could keep watch or something.

I started cleaning up what was left from the fish we ate when I noticed Will help Beth up.

"They're going to sleep behind those rocks over there," Grant told me, pointing to a cluster of rocks. "We'll take the same spot as last night, if that's okay with you."

"Oh," I replied, trying not to let the happiness show too much in my voice. "Sure, that's fine. Whatever is most comfortable for Beth."

As I laid down next to Grant, all I could think about was Cal. I wondered if she was hurt or scared. I wouldn't have made it without her when we were in that cabin's basement. Grant stirred next to me.

"Are you awake?" he whispered.

I rolled over to face him. "Of course. I can't sleep at all."

"Me neither," he replied. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure," I whispered.

"What do you think about what Will said?" he asked. "Do you think Aaron could really be some kind of spy or something?"

I rolled onto my back and stared up at the sky.
"Honestly? I don't know. But I guess it's possible."

He sighed. "Yeah, I guess you're right. I don't want to think it's a possibility, but with all the other crazy stuff on this island, I guess I could see how Will could come to that conclusion."

I turned my head to look at him.

"When we find him, I think we'll be able to tell," I told him.

"If we find him," Grant said. "We'll focus on finding Cal first and then I guess we'll have to see what to do about Aaron."